Nothing beats a simple and classic dinner with a plate of homestyle chicken and fries. It’s guaranteed to ease your worries about clean-up and flavor. Besides the classic chicken tenders or clucks and fries combo, we’re here to give you your new go-to pairing.
This recipe strays away from the classic fried chicken but serves flavorful oven-baked chicken and fries from real potatoes that you’ll surely enjoy and perfect for your movie night snacks. It offers a healthier alternative without needing to spend gallons of oil.
What’s in Our Homestyle Chicken and Fries?
This recipe will let you serve a hearty meal with a simple yet comforting taste. Our homestyle chicken is prepped in a turmeric marinade. Then toss in a side of oven baked fries, crisp and golden brown on the outside but soft and savory on the inside.
We’re going the healthy route by roasting our chicken with fries while using the least oil possible by spritzing cooking spray onto our baking dish. Learn more about how we made this recipe healthy by reading our CAQ section down below!
How to Make Homestyle Chicken and Fries
Indulge in a crispy baked chicken and golden brown french fries with this homestyle recipe. This delicious plate of chicken and fries is simple and effortless to make!
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and thoroughly coat.
- Transfer to a chilled area, covered, and allow to marinate at least for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 360 degrees F and grease a roasting tray, while setting aside a spare for later use.
- Mix the cornstarch into the marinade until combined, coating the chicken thoroughly.
- Spread the chicken pieces out on a greased roasting tray and transfer to the oven.
- Roast for roughly 1 hour or until juices run clear, keeping in mind that the breasts will roast faster than the other chicken parts. It is advised to allow your chicken to come to room temperature at least 1 hour before roasting.
- Once the chicken is almost done, start on the fries. Place the potatoes in a bowl and coat them in oil.
- Season with salt & pepper, then toss the potatoes until evenly coated.
- Once the chicken is done baking, set them aside in a warm area, covered with foil.
- Change the oven temperature to 425 degrees F and line the potatoes in a single layer on your spare roasting tray.
- Roast them for 40 to 45 minutes until golden and crispy at the edges.
- Enjoy your homestyle chicken and French fries with some ketchup on the side!
- Let your marinated chicken cool down to room temperature before roasting.
- To add more flavor to your fries, you can pre-soak them in saltwater for 3 hours to overnight. You can even soak your fries as you wait for the chicken to bake.
- Baste the chicken every 20 minutes with the juices left on the baking sheet.
- Check out the different kinds of dips and sauces that you can pair with your chicken and french fries.
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 47mg
- Calories: 795kcal
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Cholesterol: 143mg
- Fat: 57g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 3mg
- Potassium: 898mg
- Protein: 38g
- Saturated Fat: 19g
- Sodium: 2321mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 346IU
- Vitamin C: 25mg
Commonly Asked Questions
Is oven baked food healthy?
Roasting and baking are both healthy forms of cooking, at low temperatures and cooking times. In roasting chicken, its natural moisture evaporates, hence having less oil and more protein. In this recipe, we’re also cooking our chicken and fries separately since cooking fries in the excess oil from the chicken is highly unhealthy, increases cholesterol intake and adds extra acidity.
How do I store oven baked chicken and fries?
When storing your oven baked chicken, you must first wrap them in aluminum foil or cling film. Place them in an airtight container and they’ll last up to 3 days in the fridge and 4 months in the freezer. Do the same to your fries and it would last 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
ConclusionMaking chicken and fries is real simple and only requires a handful of ingredients. Besides being able to cut down on oil, roasting is totally fuss-free, letting you relax while your meal deliciously bakes in the oven!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!