Mcdonald’s can serve as an easy treat for the kids. Even as adults, we all have days where we want to indulge. However, we all know that fast food isn’t the healthiest of choices. This shouldn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a homemade version. This copycat chicken McNuggets recipe gives you an easy cheat day snack that tastes just like the original.
Homemade food will always be better for you as you can control what goes into your food. Watching what you eat and your caloric intake also becomes much more achievable. With this McNuggets recipe, you won’t have to feel too guilty for going back for seconds!
Serve these nuggets with a side of fries (why not make your own with our Beer Cheese Fries recipe here!) and with your favorite dipping sauce.
How To Make Copycat McDonald's Chicken McNuggets
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 4 chicken breast filets
- Beat the egg and then combine it with water in a bowl. Stir.
- Combine the flour, salt, MSG, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder in a gallon-sized zip lock bag.
- Pound each of the breast filets until about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the pieces in the zip lock bag and shake to coat them with the flour mixture. Remove and dip the pieces in the egg mixture.
- Put the pieces in the bag again and shake to add another coat of the flour mixture.
- Deep-fry at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, until browned and crispy
- Remove from oil and drain well before serving.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I make this recipe vegetarian or vegan?
If you want to keep the same familiar flavors while creating a vegetarian dish, you can opt to use firm tofu. Press to remove access moisture before tearing to create your nuggets.
Can I bake my Copycat McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets?
If you want to bake these nuggets, pre-heat your oven to 400°F and bake them on a lightly greased cookie pan for about 20 minutes. Baked nuggets won’t taste as crispy so if you still want that signature crispiness from McNuggets, replace the last flour coat with a coat of breadcrumbs.
How can I make these nuggets spicy?
If you’re a fan of spice, add some paprika or chili powder into your dredge mixture. This will give your chicken nuggets a nice, spicy flavor. One that you probably couldn’t achieve if you didn’t make them yourself at home!