Copycat Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos Recipe
Who doesn’t love a copycat Taco Bell recipe? Make this crazily good locos tacos recipe for dinner night or game night. Who knows, you might just make a better version than the original!
How To Make Copycat Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos
- Use a food processor to grind up all the spices and cheese powder and mix thoroughly.
Boil water unto a pot and measure out 2/3 cup to mix with 1 cup of masa harina de maize.
- If it is too dry or wet, add a touch of water or masa accordingly.
- Roll into a ball and wrap tightly for 30 minutes.
- Divide into four sections.
- Roll one section into a ball and flatten out with your hand roll out into a thin, round pancake in between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- If you are lucky enough to own a tortilla press then use that instead. Repeat with the three other dough pieces.
- Place ground beef into skillet or pan on medium high.
- Pour oil into a deep pan and set to medium high.
- You want your oil VERY hot.
- I found that if my shells were fried in oil any lower than 375 degrees they end up soggy.
- So you want it to heat up to between 375 to 400 degrees.
- While the oil heats up drain the water from the ground beef and then add the taco seasoning with 3/4 cup of water.
- Set to low and stir occasionally.
- Once the oil is at the correct temp, CAREFULLY drop the tortilla dough into the pan.
- I stand back for a second or two in case of any splatter.
- I suggest using a pan with higher sides than mine in order to guard splatter.
- You will let it cook or only a second or two.
- The tortilla will begin to bubble up.
- IMMEDIATELY use a fork and spatula to fold one side over before it hardens to shape the taco.
- I use the spatula to hold up one side, then the fork to separate the other.
- Once the shell is hardened in shape, turn over to cook other side well.
- Drain on a cookie rack with paper towels underneath.
- Once cool, sprinkle powder over each side.
- Drain ground beef.
- Fill taco shell with beef, sour cream, lettuce, cheese and tomato.
- Eat immediately.
- Calcium: 168mg
- Calories: 311kcal
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Fat: 22g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 3mg
- Potassium: 369mg
- Protein: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Sodium: 199mg
- Sugar: 1g
- Vitamin A: 788IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg