Chicken breast is an amazingly versatile meat to work with. Additionally, if you’re working towards being healthier and eating better, you’ve picked the right meat. Lower in calories and fat, chicken breast is a popular option amongst many.
However, if you’ve been on your health journey for awhile now, you’re probably getting a little bored of chicken breast. With this chicken roulade with a creamy tomato sauce, we think you might just fall in love again.
How to Make Chicken Roulade with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 2 chicken breast trimmed
- 1 pound asparagus fresh, ends trimmed
- 4 pieces ham cured, thin-sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
Creamy Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup pumpkin spice
- ½ cup coconut milk canned
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- The breast is the part of the chicken that has the least amount of fat. That’s what we want for our roulade. If you have a readily cut fillet, look for any white fat, blood spots, and tendons to remove. Cut the fillet into 2-inches wide and ¼-inch thick. Using a plastic wrap and a meat tenderizer, then pound it thin. Season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning. For this recipe, we’re pieces of asparagus spears placed on top of the ham. Roll and secure the roll with a toothpick.You can cook chicken roulade in different ways. Since we’re using fresh asparagus, place the roulade in a dish bowl. Cover with foil. Bake this in the oven for 20 minutes.You can also sous vide, which is the most common way of making roulade. Makeshift with sealing the roulade in plastic wrap, securing tightly with kitchen twine. Submerge the roulade in a hot water bath. The water temperature range should not go lower than 69°C.If that seems like a tedious amount of work, pan-searing is another method. Heat oil in a saute pan, over medium-low heat. Cook until sides are golden brown. To elevate this step, transfer to a small roasting pan. Bake in 160-degrees for 5-7 minutes. Et, Voila!
- Combine the sauce ingredient in a small saucepan. Set to cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.If you’re not a fan of tomato sauce, you can still enjoy roulade on its own while drinking a bottle of champagne.
- Pair the chicken roulade with a serving of vegetables, or a cup of rice.
Ingredients You Need
1. Can I use regular milk in place of coconut milk?
If you don’t have coconut milk, you can use any other type of milk you have at home. From almond to cow’s milk. However, coconut milk does give this dish a certain depth of flavor that you will be missing if you substitute it.
Alternatively, you can even choose to use Greek yogurt which gives this dish an extra thickness. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little water until you get the desired consistency.