What’s best eaten during the winter season? Soup! They’re so perfect for the icy season, that we’ve got a wide selection of it. Other than our comforting homestyle chicken noodle soup, we have another delicious suggestion for you to try. This homemade On the Border chicken tortilla soup! It’s a copycat recipe that will surely make your meals festive while giving you warmth and comfort. It’s a tomato-based soup broth filled with flavorful ingredients such as black beans, rice, onions, corn, and salsa. And, of course, you can’t forget about the tortilla chips and shredded cheese toppings to complete the appetizing dish.
Our Homemade On the Border Chicken Tortilla Soup
It’s so easy to recreate this delicious On the Border inspired soup dish at home. In just less than an hour, you can enjoy a homemade Mexican soup bursting with rich and savory flavors. We used a Dutch oven for this recipe. This special pot is made especially for cooking in low-and-slow temperatures. It evenly distributes the heat while retaining the temperature inside the pot. It’s the best way to cook this On the Border chicken tortilla soup at home.
Next, the ingredients for the soup base. The rich and heavy broth is made from combining the onions, garlic, cumin, and chicken broth with the tomato sauce, On the Border Tomato Salsa, rice, corn kernels, and black beans. Their On the Border Salsa is a must to echo the restaurant’s version, and achieve that spicy and flavorful Mexican soup.
Once the broth is thick and delicious, serve it into separate bowls. Finally, garnish it with the On the Border Tortilla Chips, onions, cilantro, and Monterey Jack cheese to fully achieve On the Border’s famous Mexican chicken tortilla soup!
More Tips and Variations to Try
This easy chicken tortilla soup is hearty as it is. With the spicy notes from the salsa, savory chicken broth, and added chunky goodness from tortilla chips, it is without a doubt a cure to Mexican chicken soup cravings. However, there are still more ways to amp up the flavor of this copycat On the Border chicken tortilla soup.
- Sprinkle in your favorite cheese to add more creaminess and depth to your Mexican chicken tortilla soup.
- Add meat into the broth so it’s extra flavorful. Diced rotisserie chicken will take this savory On the Border chicken tortilla soup to a whole different level. Just add it into your dutch oven 15 minutes before you take it out of the stove.
- Swap out the white rice for brown rice for a healthier meal.
- Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice for added sourness and authentic Mexican soup flavor to your dish.
- Try out more delicious optional toppings for your copycat On The Border chicken tortilla soup. Try adding in diced avocado, low-fat plain greek yogurt, or lime wedges for your soup topping.
Looking for a good pairing with your Mexican soup? Head to our FAQs to see what’s the best pair for your soup.
How To Make Copycat On The Border Tortilla Soup
Have a warm bowl of this creamy copycat version of the On the Border Tortilla Soup. Recreate the crowd’s favorite Mexican soup without having to wait for hours!
- In a Dutch Oven, heat half of your oil over medium heat. Saute your red onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and ground cumin. Saute briefly.
- Add in your broth, tomatoes, beans, and corn. Stir continuously then cover the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add On The Border Salsa and rice in the Dutch oven. Cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and transfer the contents of Dutch oven onto separate bowls for serving.
- Lightly crush the tortilla chips. Garnish the dish with chopped onion, cilantro, Monterey Jack cheese, and tortilla chips.
- For a thicker soup base, make a cornstarch slurry. Combine 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and water in a small bowl, and add into the pot while constantly stirring. Adjust the amount of cornstarch and water depending on your desired consistency.
- For storing, transfer soup into an airtight container and keep in the fridge where it will last for 5 to 7 days, or up to 6 months in the freezer.
- Sugar: 9g
- Calcium: 221mg
- Calories: 540kcal
- Carbohydrates: 70g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Fat: 22g
- Fiber: 14g
- Iron: 5mg
- Potassium: 1195mg
- Protein: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 1892mg
- Vitamin A: 878IU
- Vitamin C: 28mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Is chicken tortilla soup healthy?
Soups can be heavy and filling, but this soup recipe is on the lighter side. It can be pretty healthy especially if you’re using brown rice and other veggie fillings like avocado. Or, adding in chicken which is rich in protein. This copycat On the Border chicken tortilla soup can be a great healthy meal to serve for your guests or family. Just remember that even though it’s on the lighter and healthier side, it’s best to eat in moderation to avoid any increase in sodium and cholesterol.
What goes well with chicken tortilla soup?
This copycat On the Border chicken tortilla soup recipe can also be an appetizer to stimulate your palette. It complements your favorite burrito and balances out the savory and salty wrap with a refreshing soup made possible by the salsa, tomatoes, and cilantro. Make the best out of your Mexican-themed nights by pairing it up with delicious ground beef burritos, or a classic Mexican caesar salad to complement the savory soup.
ConclusionA quick and easy soup recipe to make at home, warm up the cold weather with this flavorful On the Border chicken tortilla soup. Its festive ingredients even will brighten up the gloomy winter days!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!