When you make orange pork chops in a slow cooker, it results in a dish that tastes almost heavenly. Seasoning the meat with a sweet and tangy orange sauce which makes the dish almost taste like teriyaki and sweet and sour pork combined. Right after browning the meat to a juicy crisp, simply toss the flavors together and allow to slow cook. Now sit back and relax as you wait for the magic to happen! This recipe is definitely worth adding to your list of favorite pork chop recipes.
Of course, you can cook on either high heat or low heat. Just remember to adjust the time to 7 to 8 hours on Low, and 4 to 6 hours on High. Either method will give you the most tender pork chops ever. You won’t have to use a knife to cut the meat, it will fall apart with just a fork. We love serving these orange pork chops with a nice side of plain white rice and a drizzle of orange marmalade for an extra citrusy taste. The meaty and succulent pork chops paired with sweet and tart orange sauce over fragrant rice will give you a delicious roller coaster ride of flavors!
How To Make Orangelicious Slow Cooked Pork Chops
Simply throw these easy orange pork chops in a slow cooker for a deeply flavorful sweet and tangy taste. Top them with fresh orange slices to make a citrusy accent.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 pork chops, (4 ounce each), boneless, skinless
- ¾ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup steamed rice, per serving
- orange segments
- 1 cup sauce, per serving
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the pork chops. Let cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until crisp and browned. Remove the chops from heat and set aside.
- In the crockpot, combine the orange juice, broth, honey, garlic salt, brown sugar, and orange zest.
- Stir to mix and add the pork chops, turning to coat each side with sauce. Cover and cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours, until tender.
- Baste the pork chops periodically while cooking.
- Remove the pork chops and set aside. Pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water, then stir to dissolve.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce, then let cook until thickened. Strain the cooked sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the pork chops. Garnish with orange segments and serve with rice. Enjoy!
- Sugar: 19g
- Calcium: 39mg
- Calories: 424kcal
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 862mg
- Protein: 32g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 3386mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 264IU
- Vitamin C: 100mg
Commonly Asked Questions
How do you tenderize pork chops?
Apple cider vinegar and acidic fruit juices just like lemon and lime tenderize pork chops well. Also, you can use soy sauce for the marinade. It adds a more savory flavor and serves as a brine at the same time, which helps tenderize the meat more.
Which oranges are best for juicing?
Valencia oranges are available all year-round and they are known for having high juice content. They only have a few seeds and thin skin which makes them ideal for juicing. Additionally, they have a sweet-tart flavor which is also perfect for dishes with oranges as an ingredient, like this pork chop recipe.
Can you put raw pork in a slow cooker?
Yes. However, don’t forget to check and make sure that it cooks all the way through. A slow cooker helps you cook dishes without a fuss by just throwing in your ingredients and let the pot do the cooking. On the other hand, if you have spare time, you can try to brown the pork a little before placing them in for faster cooking.
ConclusionThe flavors of pork chops and orange sauce blend really well with each other, creating a juicy mix of sweet, savory, and tart. These orange slow cooker pork chops and rice combo will leave you and your family wanting seconds!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!