How To Make Easy Beef Chili
Savor a spoonful of this hearty and savory classic recipe for beef chili, which is easily cooked with beans, tomatoes, chili powder, and corn.
- 2tbspolive oil
- 2medium onions,finely chopped
- 4clovesgarlic,finely chopped
- 2lbsbeef,lean ground
- 1tbspancho chili powder,or to taste
- ¼tspchipotle chili powder,or to taste
- 2sweet bell peppers,red, orange, yellow, or mixed, diced
- 28ozwhole peeled tomatoes,(1 can) or same amount of crushed, or pureed
- 15ozkidney beans,(2 cans) or black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1cupfresh corn kernels,frozen
- sour cream
- sharp cheddar,grated
- radishes,thinly sliced
- avocado slices
- fresh jalapeños,chopped
- fresh cilantro
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, heat the oil.
Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 6 minutes, or until the onions soften.
Add the beef and salt.
Cook, breaking the meat up with a potato masher or the edge of a spoon, for 5 minutes, or until it is no longer pink.
Add the ancho and chipotle powders, cumin, and oregano to the pot.
Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the bell peppers.
In a blender, pulse the tomatoes and their juices for 5 seconds to break them up.
Add them to the pot with the water and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and simmer for a minimum of 45 minutes or up to 1½ hours, or until the liquid is well flavored (the longer the better).
Add more hot water during cooking, ½ cup at a time, if the mixture seems too thick.
Add the beans and corn and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until hot.
Taste and add more salt or chili powder, if you like.
Set out bowls of your favorite garnishes for serving.
- If there’s no ground ancho and/or chipotle powder, 1 tablespoon plus ¼ teaspoons of chili powder can be used.
- This chili keeps for about a week, covered, in the refrigerator and up to 3 months when frozen.
- Calories: 323.48kcal
- Fat: 10.46g
- Saturated Fat: 2.47g
- Trans Fat: 0.19g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6.17g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.29g
- Carbohydrates: 33.14g
- Fiber: 12.81g
- Sugar: 4.81g
- Protein: 26.95g
- Cholesterol: 47.63mg
- Sodium: 293.84mg
- Calcium: 91.14mg
- Potassium: 1203.96mg
- Iron: 5.57mg
- Vitamin A: 84.78µg
- Vitamin C: 41.00mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!