Enjoy this Northern Indian Chicken Curry prepared by Wolfgang Puck and made with homemade garam masala!
How To Make Northern Indian Chicken Curry
This chicken curry is made flavorful and spicy with jalapenos and Garam masala.
- Season the chicken pieces all over with salt and black pepper.
- Set aside at room temperature.
- In a large saucepan, heat the ghee or clarified butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté them, stirring constantly, just until they turn glossy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with the remaining salt, black pepper, and sugar.
- Continue to sauté, stirring, until the onions have turned soft but have not yet browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeno, bay leaf and Garam Masala. Sauté, stirring, until the spices turn aromatic, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the seasoned chicken pieces, tomatoes, tomato paste, potatoes, and chicken broth.
- Slowly bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- As soon as the mixture boils, reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes, adding more chicken broth as necessary to keep the curry moist.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings with salt, pepper and more of the sugar if necessary.
- To serve, mound basmati rice on individual serving plates, spoon the chicken and sauce on top, and garnish with cilantro.
- In a large sauté pan, combine the dried chilies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon sticks.
- Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, just until slightly toasted and fragrant, about 1 minute, taking care not to brown the spices.
- Turn off heat and instantly stir in the grated nutmeg and turmeric.
- Immediately transfer to spices to a food processor fitted with a stainless-steel blade.
- Process, pulsing the machine on and off, until the spices are ground to a fine powder.
- Place a fine-meshed strainer over a mixing bowl.
- Pass the spices through the strainer, discarding any fibers.
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight jar and store at cool room temperature.
- Sugar: 19g
- Calcium: 309mg
- Calories: 721kcal
- Carbohydrates: 77g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Fat: 34g
- Fiber: 20g
- Iron: 19mg
- Potassium: 2216mg
- Protein: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 12g
- Sodium: 3878mg
- Vitamin A: 1281IU
- Vitamin C: 86mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!