Portillo’s is well-known for its authentic Chicago-style hot dogs. There’s a reason why these hot dogs continue to be a well-loved classic. Nothing beats a good hot dog from Portillo’s, after all. They’re delicious and really hit the spot! This Portillo’s Chicago-style hot dog recipe is thus perfect to have on hand. Moreover, your cravings for good hot dogs can be easily satisfied with this recipe. Without a doubt, you can’t go wrong with this meal. From the poppyseed bun to the loaded toppings, this is one hot dog recipe that you’ve got to try!
How To Make Portillo's Chicago-Style Hot Dog
- 1 all-beef hot dog
- 1 poppyseed hot dog bun
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp. chopped sweet onion
- 4 tomato wedges
- 1 dill pickle spear
- 2 sport peppers
- 1/8 tbsp. celery salt
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low and transfer the hot dog into the water.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, which is around how long it should take to finish cooking.
- When finished, remove from heat and set aside.
- Put a steamer basket inside the pot and place the hot dog bun inside.
- Steam for 2 minutes, which is when it should be warm.
- Put the hot dog inside of the warm hot dog bun.
- Place the toppings on the hot dog in this order: mustard, relish, onion, tomatoes, pickle, peppers and celery salt.
- When adding the toppings, make sure the tomatoes are between the hot dog and the top of the bun while the pickle should be between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun.
- Serve and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
Why shouldn’t I put ketchup on a hot dog?
Ultimately, all that ketchup will just overpower the other flavors of your hot dog. If you really want to appreciate your Portillo’s classic, then we recommend steering clear of any ketchup on your toppings. Nevertheless, there isn’t really a rule set in stone that you can’t have your hot dog with ketchup. After all, it’s your creation, so you’re free to enjoy it any way you’d like!
What should I serve with hot dogs?
A Portillo’s Chicago-style hot dog is great on its own. But, if you’re hosting a party and want to provide your guests with some sides, we suggest sticking to some classics. These include coleslaw, potato salad, and some corn on the cob. Other options you could try would be sweet potato fries, regular potato fries, and homemade chips. There’s a lot you can do with a good hot dog, so now’s the time to get creative!