If you love the taste of KFC’s extra crispy chicken, this is the perfect recipe!
It’s easy to make and you’ll have extra seasonings for more recipes at a later date. Serve it with a side of the copycat green beans and mashed potatoes for a true KFC dinner!
Copycat KFC Style Extra Crispy Chicken Recipe
- 1 roasting chicken cut up
- To make the spice mixture for the chicken, combine the ingredients for the KFC seasonings and barbecue seasonings in a resealable container and shake well. Break up any clumps and shake again to completely mix.
- To make the chicken, rinse and blot the chicken pieces. Combine the 2 qt. water with 2 Tbs. salt and 2 tsp. Accent seasoning in a saucepan. Stir until dissolved. Add the chicken to the mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning the chicken as needed.
- In a large bowl, combine all the seasoned flour ingredients except the flour and cornstarch. Break up any clumps then whisk to mix well. Add 3 3/4 C. flour and 1/4 C. cornstarch. Whisk until completely combined. In another bowl, put 4 qt. water.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and put it in the bowl with the seasoned flour mixture. Coat well, remove from the bowl, and put them on a platter. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are done. Dip one piece of chicken into the water wash and wet completely. Drop the wet chicken into the flour mixture again. Toss until slightly clumpy. Place the double-breaded chicken on a platter for 15 to 20 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the recommended amount of shortening in a deep fryer to 315 degrees. If you don't have a deep fryer, preheat enough shortening to immerse the chicken completely in a deep, heavy pot to 315 to 325 degrees.
- Put the breaded chicken into the pot with the heated oil and fry for 16 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown. Flip them halfway through cooking. Drain the chicken on the wire rack over paper towels. Repeat until all the chicken is fried.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!