If you love the taste of KFC’s extra crispy chicken, this is the perfect recipe!
Serve it with a side of the copycat green beans and mashed potatoes for a true KFC dinnerda3
How To Make Copycat KFC Style Extra Crispy Chicken
Who doesn’t want a mouthwatering batch of crispy chicken? We guarantee that this KFC-inspired dish is finger-lickin’ good. Try it at home!
- 3½ lb roasting chicken, cut up, thoroughly washed
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 5 cups vegetable oil, for frying, or shortening
- 8 cups water, cold
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp MSG, or flavor enhancer of your choice, preferably accent seasoning
- ½ cup copycat KFC seasoning, recipe below
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper, preferably tellicherry pepper
- 2 tsp MSG , or flavor enhancer of your choice, preferably Accent seasoning
- 2 tsp ground celery seeds
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ cup cornstarch, packed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup dry milk powder
- 4 tbsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp MSG , or flavor enhancer of your choice, preferably Accent seasoning
- 3 tbsp ground black pepper, preferably tellicherry pepper
- 1 tbsp barbecue seasoning, recipe below
- 1½ tbsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground green cardamom
- 1¼ tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- To make the spice mixture for the chicken, whisk to combine the respective ingredients for both the KFC and Barbeque seasonings in separate mixing bowls. You can also combine the ingredients in a resealable container and shake well. Break up any clumps and shake again to completely mix. Set aside any excess seasonings for future use.
- Pat dry the chicken pieces. Then, combine the water, salt, and MSG or flavor enhancer. Mix until dissolved. Add the chicken to the mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning the chicken as needed.
- In a large bowl, combine all the seasoned flour ingredients except the flour and baking powder. Break up any clumps then whisk to mix well.
- Add both flour and cornstarch in a separate bowl and mix until combined. Then in another bowl, prepare the coconut milk.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and put it in the bowl with the seasoned flour mixture. Dredge properly and remove from the bowl. Dip each chicken into the coconut milk, then return the wet chicken into the flour mixture again to coat. Toss until slightly clumpy.
- Place the double-breaded chicken on a platter for 15 to 20 minutes to rest.
- Preheat a deep skillet or pot with vegetable oil or shortening to 315 degrees F.
- Put the breaded chicken into the pot with the heated oil and fry for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown. Flip them halfway through cooking.
- Drain the chicken on the wire rack over paper towels. Repeat until all the chicken is fried.
- Serve immediately with gravy and your choice of cooked potatoes.
- Sugar: 4g
- Calcium: 403mg
- Calories: 613kcal
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Fat: 35g
- Fiber: 9g
- Iron: 11mg
- Potassium: 874mg
- Protein: 28g
- Saturated Fat: 21g
- Sodium: 5436mg
- Vitamin A: 2526IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!