Ditch your usual fried chicken meal with this savory bourbon street chicken. Made of dark chicken meat marinated in sweet and savory bourbon sauce, these bite-sized tender bourbon chicken bites will surely satisfy your tastebuds. Above all, you can enjoy this savory Chinese bourbon chicken over a serving of hot white steamed rice for a completely satisfying meal.
Tips for Making Bourbon Street Chicken
The popular bourbon chicken sauce is a flavorful combination of oaky bourbon whiskey, sweet sugar, savory soy sauce, and top of all, aromatic garlic. The same sweet and earthy sauce also brought life to the now-famous Applebee’s bourbon street chicken and shrimp.
This homemade bourbon street chicken recipe is a delicious way to add liquor to everyday dishes and bring out a whole other flavor. Also, you don’t have to worry about making this recipe without alcohol. Because we’ll be giving you a tip on how to make this dish alcohol-free as well as variations you can try when making this easy bourbon chicken. So keep these handy tips in mind:
- Make sure to marinate your chicken. Aside from added flavors, marinating your dark chicken meat keeps it from drying out. In addition, marinating prevents the meat from getting chewy. This method will also give our chicken a nice caramelized crust when we bake it later on.
- You can use chicken breasts if you prefer a lean cut of chicken. In this recipe, we used dark chicken meat, which is the leg and thigh parts of the chicken because we want to serve tender bite-sized chicken pieces. But you can definitely use chicken breasts if you prefer.
- If you’re out of bourbon, whiskey, scotch, and of course, brandy will work well in place of it.
- Use apple or pineapple juice instead of the usual bourbon and white wine if you’ve been staying away from alcohol.
- Serve bourbon street chicken with roasted vegetables aside from the fragrant white rice for your side. You can also pair it with roasted potatoes and carrots and you’ll love the sweet and smoky flavors of this combo. Lastly, we suggest pairing it with sauteed asparagus to add more crunch to your meal.
How To Make Bourbon Street Chicken
This bourbon street chicken has the perfect blend of earthy, sweet, and savory flavors from our brown sugar bourbon sauce. Baked to perfection, this mouth-watering combination will give you juicy and savory chicken!
Heat up a skillet with vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
Add the chicken and sear for 3 to 5 minutes or until caramelized. Drain and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk until evenly incorporated.
Pour into a skillet and bring sauce to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Add the chicken and continue simmering for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust accordingly.
Serve over rice or pasta and mixed vegetables. Then, garnish with green onions or cilantro.
- Sugar: 17g
- Calcium: 48mg
- Calories: 670kcal
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Cholesterol: 222mg
- Fat: 41g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 18g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g
- Potassium: 631mg
- Protein: 40g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Sodium: 1198mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 1223IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Is bourbon chicken real chicken?
Yes, it is! They named Bourbon street chicken after Bourbon Street in Louisiana, where it originated. Bourbon chicken is commonly found in Cajun and Chinese restaurants. They make it out of dark chicken meat, which are the chicken thighs and leg parts. This part of the chicken gives the dish soft and juicy bites. You can also use other chicken parts and cook them with the iconic bourbon glaze sauce.
Does bourbon chicken have alcohol?
Yes. Bourbon street chicken contains real bourbon whiskey. The tang of alcohol decreases as it cooks. However, although some of the bourbon’s alcohol content dies down a little when we cook it, this dish still has the potential to make you lightheaded. Especially if you have a low tolerance to alcohol.
ConclusionThe delicious mix of oaky bourbon, light white wine, salty soy sauce, and aromatic spices make the best bourbon street chicken. Make a platter of it with a healthy roster of side dishes for special occasions or if you simply want to treat yourself!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!