This popular easy to make Mexican dessert is sure to warm your tummy and make you smile.
How To Make Pan-fried Banana with Lechera
- A skillet
- 4 large plantains
- 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 6 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoon sugar optional
- You will need the following ingredients to make this super simple Mexican delight that is perfect for anything from breakfast to tea!
- To begin, slice 4 large plantains in half lengthwise. Peel the skin of the plantain.
- Sprinkle the plantains with 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
- In a heated skillet, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Allow the butter to melt.
- Place the cinnamon dusted plantains in the skillet cinnamon side down. This will give you a nice crust and flavor the butter in the pan with cinnamon.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until the plantains are golden brown. The natural sugars within the plantain will caramelize and give it a nice crunch.
- Place 4 slices of the caramelized plantain on a plate or a dessert plate. Then drizzle with sweetened condensed milk. If you are watching your sugar intake, skip this step and dust more powdered cinnamon on your plantains instead.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and garnish with a sprig of mint. The fresh flavours in the mint will help cut through all the sweet to ensure the dish doesn’t feel too rich and heavy.
- The most important step, dig and enjoy this divinely delectable dessert! We love to pair it with a strong, bitter cup of black coffee. Like the sprig of mint, the earthiness of a strong cup of coffee helps balance out the flavours in this dish.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
I don’t have sweetened condensed milk on hand. Is there a substitute?
You can make homemade sweetened condensed milk- you will need ½ a cup of milk powder, ½ a tablespoon of butter, and ¼ cup of powdered sugar and hot water. Add the milk powder, icing sugar and butter in an electric mixer. Add the hot water and blend until smooth. Cool and store in an airtight container.
Are plantains healthier than bananas?
Cooked plantains have more potassium than regular bananas. Also, because it has a naturally low glycemic index. It is ideal for diabetic patients. Although, you would probably need to skip on the condensed milk if you’re watching your sugar intake.