Feeling cold? Here is a fantastic recipe inspired by California Pizza Kitchen’s baked potato soup. This rich masterpiece is a delicious way to enjoy potatoes a little differently. Moreover, it’s creamy and great to serve no matter what the occasion.
This CPK recipe is the perfect go-to when you’re not sure what to put on the menu. You can’t go wrong with some potatoes, especially when they’re served through this tasty dish. Serve it to your family and friends for any occasion and wow guests with your cooking skills through this delectable dish!
Discover how you can make this simple and easy dish without the hassle of waiting for delivery or actually going out of the house to wait in line for an order.
How To Make Copycat CPK Baked Potato Soup
Learn how to make your own creamy baked potato soup with this recipe.
- 15 oz potatoes
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 cups milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ green onions, chopped and divided
- 4 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake the potatoes for one hour or until tender. Cool completely and then peel the skin off.
- Mash the peeled potatoes with a fork and set aside.
- Next, using a large pot, heat up the oil and add the flour until thickened, forming a roux.
- Gradually stir in the milk, whisking to fully combine.
- Simmer over medium heat and let cook until the mixture thickens.
- Add the mashed potatoes and ½ cup of cheese.
- Stir the pot until the cheese fully melts and is well-combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the sour cream and about half of the onions.
- Once well-combined, return to the heat and let cook on low for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Serve with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and fresh green onions. Enjoy!
Adding sour cream will really bring everything together for this dish. While some soups lean on the lighter side, this recipe shows you that a rich and creamy soup can be just as good -- or even better, especially if you're big on potatoes!
- Sugar: 21g
- Calcium: 655mg
- Calories: 644kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- Fat: 48g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 668mg
- Protein: 24g
- Saturated Fat: 27g
- Sodium: 985mg
- Vitamin A: 1163IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Commonly Asked Questions
What is a good side dish with potato soup?
Pair your CPK baked potato soup with a light salad to avoid overpowering its rich flavor. Or, go for some roasted broccoli to add a bit of color to your table. Additionally, you can serve some bread to dip into your creamy soup. We recommend going for a crusty sourdough, as it’s a great bread to pair with soups. You can also go for some toasted pitas for something different.
What meat goes well with potato soup?
If your potato soup won’t be the main star of the show, then we suggest serving it with something like grilled chicken for a meal that your guests will feast on. However, we believe the best way to appreciate this soup’s delicious and rich taste is to enjoy it all on its own. Have your guests dip into this creamy creation with just a simple side of bread to really bring out its flavor.
ConclusionWhen you've got some excess potatoes lying around the kitchen, then make better use of them by creating a delicious meal for everyone to enjoy. Without a doubt, this potato soup recipe is a must-try for anyone looking for something new to create.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!