This very simple but rich sauce can be made in larger batches right about the time the rhubarb is ready. It can be frozen or canned for later use.
How To Make Grilled Chicken Breast with Red Currant Rhubarb Sauce and Port Wine
- 2 cups rhubarb peeled and diced 1/4 inch
- 1 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tbsp port wine
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Thoroughly wash about 1 lb. of fresh rhubarb and peel off its fibrous outer layer with a knife.
- Cut the stalks into small pieces measuring about 1/4 inch. Combine the rhubarb with the red currant jelly and boil over medium heat until the jelly is reduced by about 1/3.
- Strain the rhubarb out of the sauce and measure. You should have only 1 cup of liquid. If you have more, reduce further over medium heat until the proper measurement is reached.
- Save the cooked rhubarb and chill it overnight. This can be served as you would applesauce with pork chop.
- Combine the port wine and arrowroot and stir out any lumps.
- Add the port wine mixture to the boiling rhubarb sauce and stir vigorously for 1 minute. Then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle the chicken breasts with canola oil, season them with salt and pepper, and grill them until they are cooked well. Serve them with the rhubarb sauce on the side or on top. Bon apetit!