This mouth-watering Indian meal is perfect for special occasions if you want to surprise your guests and go all out. With all of the spices that are used, the rice and chicken come together beautifully to create one true delectable meal that is worth trying.
How To Make Authentic Indian Chicken Biryani
- 2 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1.65 lbs. chicken
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 green chillies chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 7 strands saffron
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp biryani masala powder
- 5 tbsp yogurt
- juice of 1 large lime
- 7 cloves
- 3 (1-inch) sticks of cinnamon
- 6 cardamom
- 3 bay leaves
- kosher salt
- 5 cloves
- 2 (1-inch) sticks of cinnamon
- 4 cardamom
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 1/2 cup water
- kosher salt
- Fry onions in oil until they turn golden brown. Reserve excess oil.
- Place chicken in a bowl and add all marinate ingredients, reserved oil, 1/2 of the fried onions and half of the chopped coriander, mint and green chillies.
- Make sure the chicken are evenly coated. Place chicken in refrigerator and allow it to marinate for about 4 hours.
- When done, take chicken out of refrigerator to rest.
- Fry chicken on pan for about 5 minutes. Preheat crockpot on high for 20 minutes.
- Wash rice and place rice into a microwavable bowl with rest of the rice ingredients. Microwave for 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease crockpot, placed cooked chicken at bottom and place 1/2 of the rice on top.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions and green chillies to crockpot.
- Melt ghee and spread 1 1/2 tablespoon on rice. Sprinkle a few drops of lime juice.
- Add the rest of the rice on top and add remaining coriander leaves, mint leaves, fried onions and green chillies followed by the remaining ghee and lime juice.
- Boil milk with saffron strands and spread mixture on the top layer of rice.
- Cover crockpot with aluminum foil, place lid on top. Cook on low for 4 hours. Stir and serve.