If you love baked potato soup, then you’ll love this copycat recipe that’s just like Potbelly. It’s filled with tons of flavor, and topped with crispy bacon, shredded cheese and chives. What’s better than that?
How To Make Loaded Baked Potato Soup Just Like Potbelly
- 4 lg. russet potatoes washed
- 8 slices of bacon cooked and chopped, save cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup cheese of your choice, 1/4 C. separated for garnish shredded
- 4 tbsp butter
- chives for garnish
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- Poke potatoes with a fork multiple times all over, and place them into a microwave safe plate or bowl. Microwave for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Let cool enough to touch, then peel and cut into bite sized chunks.
- In a large pot combine butter, onions and garlic, and bacon grease, sautéing the veggies until onions are soft and start to brown. Slowly whisk in flour for about a minute, then the milk and half and half. Whisk contents until smooth.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and bring to a light simmer until content start to slightly thicken. Stir in garlic salt, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Pour in potatoes, cheese, and sour cream stirring to incorporate all ingredients into soup. Serve hot with bacon, cheese and more sour cream if preferred.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 64mg | Sodium: 1429mg | Potassium: 318mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 698IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 184mg | Iron: 1mg