This perfectly baked macaroni and cheese is sure to become a family favorite.
How To Make Golden Brown Macaroni and Cheese
Have some real baked macaroni and cheese with this easy mac and cheese recipe. It may not be served in an instant but your labor of love will be worth it!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 35 mins
Total: 45 mins
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and cooled
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack, or a combination of both, grated and divided
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3½ cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a baking casserole of your choice.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter and add the flour. Whisk over medium heat until it forms a roux.
- Add the milk and mustard. Whisk to combine. Simmer until thick. Reduce heat to low.
- Ladle roughly ¼ cup of the sauce into the beaten egg to temper and whisk to combine.
- Set aside ⅓ cup of the cheese, then add the rest into the sauce. Add the tempered egg mixture into the sauce, and whisk constantly until smooth and the cheese has melted. Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Add the pasta and mix to combine, then transfer onto the greased casserole.
- Top the casserole with the reserved cheese and bake the macaroni for roughly 10 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown and the casserole is warm throughout.
- Garnish the casserole with paprika and serve.
- Sugar: 10g
- Calcium: 734mg
- Calories: 836kcal
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Cholesterol: 141mg
- Fat: 40g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 490mg
- Protein: 37g
- Saturated Fat: 24g
- Sodium: 567mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 1265IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!