Portillo’s is known for its classic hot dogs, including the chili cheese dog, and now you can make this dish. The crockpot helps enhance the flavor of this delicious dish and makes it easier to create. This cheese dog recipe is absolutely simple, easy, and completely hassle-free
In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of recreating these iconic chili cheese dogs inspired by Portillo’s. We guarantee that it will be tender and absolutely delicious. The crockpot does wonders for every meal, this copycat chili cheese dog recipe included.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s fire up the stove, get the crockpot ready, and start cooking! Serve this to your family and friends during picnics with the condiment of choice. If you want to try more copycat Portillo’s recipes, you might want to check this Italian beef dish.
How To Make Portillo's Crockpot Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1/2 cup sweet onions soaked, drained, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 pkg. chili seasoning
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 pkg. hot dogs
- 8 hot dog bun
- Cheddar cheese
- Use a medium pan to melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook for five minutes, which is how long it should take for the onions to become tender.
- Use a different pan to brown the ground beef and then drain when finished.
- Transfer the beef into your crockpot and add the onions, lemon juice, chili seasoning, mustard, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, brown sugar, and hot dogs.
- Cover and cook on low for about three hours.
- When finished, place the hot dogs on top of each hot dog bun.
- Top with chili and shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Place the chili dogs under a broiler to melt and then serve.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
What Should I Serve With Chili Cheese Dogs?
If you’re planning a picnic and don’t know what goes well with chili cheese dogs, our advice is to go with the basics. Pack some salads, sandwiches, and some fries. We guarantee that you’ll not only have a fun time outside but you’ll have a filling picnics as well.
What Is the Best Condiment For Hotdogs?
The choice of condiment will actually depend on you. There are a wide variety of condiments to choose from to garnish and enhance the flavor of your chili cheese dogs. You can use different kinds of cheese, sauerkraut, and even mustard. The sky is your limit.
Picnics will never be the same with this chili cheese dog recipe inspired by Portillo's. Add this to your arsenal of picnic dishes and we guarantee that it will be an instant even -- especially with children.