Do you sometimes ask yourself what to do with too much leftover mashed potatoes? Well, if you do, you’re in luck. If you’re feeling experimental, this recipe will help you in turning those leftover mashed potatoes into moist and undeniably delicious potato cakes.
In this recipe, we’ll show you how to recreate the signature potato cake inspired by Arby’s in the comfort of your own kitchen. Don’t worry, this dish is just easy to make, you’ll have these scrumptious potato cakes in no time.
Just follow these simple steps and serve these potato cakes with the condiment of your choice. It’s perfect not only for lunch and dinner but also for snacks. Pack it when you’re going to have an outing for a quick bite.
How To Make Copycat Arby's Potato Cakes
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 1 pinch salt for tasting purposes
- 1 pinch pepper for tasting purposes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the eggs with the mashed potatoes until they are well-blended.
- Add the flour and blend it as well.
- Add a dash of both salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into small potato cakes, each about the size of a drink coaster.
- Heat up the olive oil thoroughly in a skillet over medium heat (adding the potato cakes to an unheated pan will cause them to come out greasy).
- Fry your potato cakes for about two minutes for each side, or at least until they become golden brown.
- Press each side gently with the back of your spatula to make sure it's cooked all the way through.
- Once they're cooked properly, place your potato cakes onto a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil, and then serve.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I Store Leftover Potato Cakes in the Freezer?
Yes, you can prolong the life of your potato cake by placing it inside the freezer. Make sure to put it in a freezer bag to maintain its form. When you want to eat it again, simply put it in the microwave for a few minutes until completely thawed.
Recycling leftovers will not only save money but save the environment as well. Try this potato cake recipe the next time you have leftover mashed potatoes and we guarantee that it will make you full.