Copycat Arby’s potato cakes only require a few ingredients and are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. This recipe comes from Southern cooking traditions and is excellent hot out of the skillet. The number of servings depends on the amount of mashed potatoes you have left over. Using real instead of boxed mashed potatoes is highly recommended for the best results.
How To Make Copycat Arby's Potato Cakes
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 1 pinch salt for tasting purposes
- 1 pinch pepper for tasting purposes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Mix the eggs with the mashed potatoes until they are well-blended.
- Add the flour and blend it as well.
- Add a dash of both salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into small potato cakes, each about the size of a drink coaster.
- Heat up the olive oil thoroughly in a skillet over medium heat (adding the potato cakes to an unheated pan will cause them to come out greasy).
- Fry your potato cakes for about two minutes for each side, or at least until they become golden brown.
- Press each side gently with the back of your spatula to make sure it's cooked all the way through.
- Once they're cooked properly, place your potato cakes onto a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any extra oil, and then serve.