Portillo’s is known for its classic hot dogs, including the chili cheese dog, and now you can make this dish. The crockpot helps enhance the flavor of this delicious dish and makes it easier to create. This cheese dog recipe is absolutely simple, easy, and completely hassle-free
In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the process of recreating these iconic chili cheese dogs inspired by Portillo’s. We guarantee that it will be tender and absolutely delicious. The crockpot does wonders for every meal, this copycat chili cheese dog recipe included.
So, what are you waiting for? Let’s fire up the stove, get the crockpot ready, and start cooking! Serve this to your family and friends during picnics with the condiment of choice. If you want to try more copycat Portillo’s recipes, you might want to check this Italian beef dish.
How To Make Portillo's Crockpot Chili Cheese Dogs
- ½ cup sweet onions, minced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ lb ground beef
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup beef stock
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp brown sugar, to taste
- 8 hot dogs, (1 package), preferably beef franks
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Use a medium pan to melt the butter over medium heat.
- Saute the onions until translucent. Set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the ground beef until brown. Drain off any excess fat and discard.
- Transfer the beef into the crockpot and add the onions, mustard powder, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and beef stock. Mix until evenly incorporated.
- Layer the hot dogs neatly onto the top of the mixture.
- Cover and cook on Low for about 3 hours.
- Season the chili mixture to taste with brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Adjust accordingly, and mix.
- Place the hot dogs on top of each hot dog bun. Top the hotdogs with the chili mixture and cheddar cheese.
- Put the chili dogs under a broiler for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese melts. Alternatively, use a toaster to melt the cheese for roughly 8 to 12 minutes under its lowest heat setting. Roasting time will change depending on the amount inside the toaster, just be careful not to burn the bread.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 9g
- Calcium: 261mg
- Calories: 471kcal
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Cholesterol: 78mg
- Fat: 27g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 345mg
- Protein: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Sodium: 796mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 781IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Serve With Chili Cheese Dogs?
If you’re planning a picnic and don’t know what goes well with chili cheese dogs, our advice is to go with the basics. Pack some salads, sandwiches, and some fries. We guarantee that you’ll not only have a fun time outside but you’ll have a filling picnics as well.
What Is the Best Condiment For Hotdogs?
The choice of condiment will actually depend on you. There are a wide variety of condiments to choose from to garnish and enhance the flavor of your chili cheese dogs. You can use different kinds of cheese, sauerkraut, and even mustard. The sky is your limit.
ConclusionPicnics will never be the same with this chili cheese dog recipe inspired by Portillo's. Add this to your arsenal of picnic dishes and we guarantee that it will be an instant even -- especially with children.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!