Whip up a yummy treat just like Tiana did with these Princess and the Frog Beignets. Tiana’s beignets are drizzled with honey and dusted with powdered sugar for a sweet taste. Enjoy one, two, or five of these beignets any time by trying our easy-to-follow recipe!
Beignets are fried pastries like doughnuts. This square-shaped treat is light and pillowy, making it a perfect afternoon snack. It’s famous in New Orleans and has been the official state doughnut of Louisiana since 1986.
How To Make Princess and the Frog Beignets
This Princess and the Frog beignets recipe will let you enjoy a light and pillowy pastry perfect for breakfast or dessert.
- ½ cup buttermilk, warm
- ¼ cup sugar, plus 1 tsp
- 3½ tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg, large
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup rye flour
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- vegetable oil, for frying
- honey, as needed
- powdered sugar, as needed
- Bloom your yeast by mixing warm buttermilk, yeast, and sugar. Set aside to bloom for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, melted butter, evaporated milk, heavy cream, and salt.
- Sift all the flour and nutmeg in a large bowl and add the sugar and set aside.
- Combine the egg and milk mixture with the yeast and mix. Add half of the flour and mix with your hand. Once the mixture comes to a sticky paste, add the rest of the flour.
- Dust your counter with some flour and continue kneading the dough for roughly 5 to 8 minutes. After kneading, place it in an oiled bowl and cover with a cloth or cling wrap and rest for an hour or until more than double its size. *
- Dust your work surface and place your beignet dough onto your counter and roll out the dough to a ¼-inch thick rectangle. Cut the beignets into roughly 2x3-inch rectangles.
- Heat your vegetable oil to 370 degrees F and maintain the heat. Gently place beignets into the hot oil. Flip and fry the beignets until they turn golden brown. Drain the excess oil on a paper towel. **
- Plate them and drizzle with honey. Dust the beignets liberally with powdered sugar and serve. Enjoy!
- *Remember not to overwork your dough.
- **Make sure you don’t overcrowd the pot when frying to maintain the heat.
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 28mg
- Calories: 129kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Fat: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 77mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 65mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 163IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!