How To Make Vegetarian Gumbo
Bring the Southern flavors to your table with this Vegetarian Gumbo that is loaded with veggies and spices — you won’t even miss the meat at all!
- ½cupbutter or oil
- ⅔cupall-purpose flour
- 2medium red bell peppers,cored and diced
- 2celery stalks,diced
- 1small white onion,peeled and diced
- 1cupokra,fresh or frozen, chopped
- 3cupsvegetable stock
- 1small head of cauliflower,cored and chopped into florets
- 1lbbaby bella or button mushrooms,(16 oz) diced
- 14ozfire-roasted tomatoes,(1 can)
- 2tspcreole or cajun seasoning
- ½tspcayenne,or more/less to taste
- 1bay leaf
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper,to taste
- thinly-sliced green onions,optional topping
Heat butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until melted. Whisk in flour until combined. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes, or until the roux mixture reaches a dark amber-brown color. Keep a very close eye on the roux at all times, turning the heat down a bit if it seems to be cooking too quickly or starts to faintly smell burnt.
Once the roux is ready, immediately stir in the bell peppers, celery, onion, okra, and garlic until combined. Continue to cook, stirring every 10 to 15 seconds for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
Stir in the vegetable stock gradually until the broth is smooth. Then add in the cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes, seasoning, thyme, cayenne, and bay leaf. Stir until combined, and continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
Reduce heat to medium-low and let the gumbo continue to simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Taste, and season with extra salt, pepper, and/or cayenne if needed.
Serve warm over rice, garnished with lots of green onions. Or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Calories: 154.55kcal
- Fat: 9.78g
- Saturated Fat: 5.95g
- Trans Fat: 0.37g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.44g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.54g
- Carbohydrates: 14.68g
- Fiber: 2.89g
- Sugar: 4.10g
- Protein: 3.94g
- Cholesterol: 24.40mg
- Sodium: 581.65mg
- Calcium: 39.30mg
- Potassium: 454.22mg
- Iron: 1.22mg
- Vitamin A: 141.94µg
- Vitamin C: 53.47mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!