How To Make Spaghetti with Shiitakes, Parmesan and Pepper
In just minutes, you can enjoy this delicious spaghetti dish with earthy shiitake mushrooms, spiced with pepper, and served with loads of parmesan!
- 4tbspolive oil
- 1lbshiitake mushrooms
- ¾tspfresh ground black pepper
- 1½cupchicken broth,low-sodium, canned, or homemade stock
In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over moderate heat.
Add the mushrooms, ½ teaspoon of pepper, and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms are browned.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until reduced to about 1 cup.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the spaghetti for about 12 minutes until just done.
Toss the spaghetti with the mushroom sauce, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and ¼ teaspoon of pepper, and parmesan.
Serve with more cheese.
- Optional Variation: Add a couple of tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon, thyme, or parsley, to the spaghetti along with the parmesan.
- Wine Recommendation: The mix of flavors opens the door to all sorts of wine choices. To match the earthiness of the mushrooms, try a white based on the chardonnay grape; a Bourgogne Blanc from France would be particularly good. To echo the black pepper, look for a red with a similar flavor, such as a dolcetto from Italy or a petite sirah from California.
- Calories: 582.29kcal
- Fat: 21.25g
- Saturated Fat: 5.45g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11.92g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.21g
- Carbohydrates: 75.82g
- Fiber: 5.73g
- Sugar: 6.56g
- Protein: 22.70g
- Cholesterol: 15.34mg
- Sodium: 545.76mg
- Calcium: 248.26mg
- Potassium: 659.40mg
- Iron: 2.07mg
- Vitamin A: 39.52µg
- Vitamin C: 0.65mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!