When you’re craving that home-style fried chicken and KFC just isn’t going to cut it, try this delicious recipe that will bring you home again.
How To Make Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy
- 1 fryer chicken cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- cooking oil
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Put the chicken in a large flat dish or shallow casserole pan.
- Pour the buttermilk over the chicken and refrigerate it for about an hour.
- Mix the flour, potato flakes, salt, pepper, and seasoned salt ina Ziplock baggie or double-strength paper sack.
- Drain the chicken pieces and toss them one at a time in the flour mixture. Place them on wax paper for 15 minutes for drying.
- Heat about 1/4 inch of oil in a large skillet. Fry the chicken pieces in the skillet until they are browned on all sides.
- Cover and simmer the skillet, turning the pieces occasionally for 40 minutes or until the juices run clear and the pieces are tender. Then, uncover the skillet and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Afterward, remove the chicken pieces from the skillet and keep them warm.
- To make the gravy, drain all but 1/4 cups of drippings from the skillet. Stir them in flour to make a roux.
- Add milk and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it becomes thick and bubbly.
- Cook the mixture for 1 more minute without stirring. Then, add the remaining 1/2 cups of water if necessary. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Serve the gravy hot with the fried chicken and biscuits. Bon apetit!