How To Make Empanadas Colombianas
A Latin-inspired fried turnover, enjoy a savory bite of this empanadas Colombianas, made with a soft dough & ground beef-potato filling.
Place the yellow cornmeal in a large bowl.
Add the sazon Goya and salt and stir to mix well.
- Add the water and oil and mix to form dough. Adjust with water or cornmeal if necessary.
- Pat the dough into a ball and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Cover with plastic and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, cook the potatoes in a pot with water and the bouillon cube for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain and gently mash the potatoes. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the white onion and cook over medium-low heat stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green onions, garlic, bell pepper, cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the ground beef. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mixture is fairly dry.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the mashed potatoes bowl and mix well to combine.
Break small portions of the dough, about 1½ tablespoon each, and form each portion into a ball by rolling between the palms of hands.
Place the balls of dough between 2 pieces of plastic and roll each out very thinly to form a circle.
- Remove the top plastic and place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each.
- Then using the plastic underneath, fold the dough over to enclose the filling, forming a half circle.
- Tightly seal the edges by crimping with the tines of a fork.
Fill a large pot with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 360 degrees F.
- Carefully place 3 or 4 empanadas at the time in the heated oil and fry for about 2 minutes until golden on all sides.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the empanadas to a plate lined with paper towels.
Serve with ají and lime on the side. Enjoy!
Dilute a few saffron threads in ½ cup of boiling water, add the beef bouillon cube and stir until entirely dissolved.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!