How To Make Overnight Ham and Cheese Strata
Worry less about cooking in the morning and whip up this Overnight Ham and Cheese Strata, packed with the flavors of ham, cheese, bell pepper, and spices!
- 10cupsbread,cubed, such as big chunks of a crispy baguette
- ½cupgreen bell pepper,diced, or any color
- 2cupsham,cooked, cubed
- 2cupscheese,shredded, or a mix of gouda and mozzarella
- 9large eggs
- 2cupsmilk,any kind
- ¼tspfresh ground black pepper,plus more, for topping
- 2tbspgreen onion
Generously grease a 9×13-inch casserole dish or spray with nonstick spray.
Layer in the bread, then the peppers, tomatoes, and ham.
Sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, ground mustard, smoked paprika, and pepper together.
Pour evenly over other ingredients in the casserole dish.
Top with the scallions and a little more pepper, if desired.
Cover tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight (up to 12 to 16 hours).
Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and allow to sit out at room temperature for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Bake the casserole, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Loosely cover with aluminum foil for the remaining 20 to 30 minutes.
The casserole is done with browned on the sides and puffy in the center, usually around 55 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Cover the leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Freezing Instructions: Prepare through step 4, then cover the casserole with plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature, then continue with step 8.
- Bread: Make sure the bread chunks are a little stale. Let the bread sit out overnight.
- Calories: 328.41kcal
- Fat: 17.37g
- Saturated Fat: 7.76g
- Trans Fat: 0.28g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5.63g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.12g
- Carbohydrates: 21.10g
- Fiber: 1.64g
- Sugar: 4.58g
- Protein: 21.27g
- Cholesterol: 188.31mg
- Sodium: 779.89mg
- Calcium: 265.36mg
- Potassium: 335.88mg
- Iron: 2.29mg
- Vitamin A: 145.55µg
- Vitamin C: 6.10mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!