A Western omelette is a quick and easy breakfast recipe that makes use of simple ingredients to make a filling and savory meal. Mixed vegetables, shredded cheddar cheese, and of course, the eggs all make a great combo that makes you feel full for the rest of the day. It’s a great dish to have with toasted bread or even a bowl of white rice. Also, you can make these into a breakfast sandwich to bring to work! Try pairing it with a stuffed bagel ball, cheesy hash brown egg bites, and many other delicious breakfast dishes.
What is a Western Omelette?
Western omelette is also called the Denver omelet. It was originally a sandwich but eventually evolved into what we know today as the American style of cooking eggs. So, what’s in a western omelette? Unlike the French version which you fold into a smooth roll, the western omelette is folded in half. You then fry it in a skillet until golden brown and slightly crispy. In addition, the ingredients are typically ham, bell peppers, onions, and cheese to combine with the egg mixture.
Tips on Making Western Omelette
Despite being an easy dish, it’s also easy to mess up an omelette. You don’t have to worry. We’re here to give you some helpful tips on making this hearty breakfast omelette truly flavorful.
- Saute the vegetables over medium heat until it’s softened and lightly browned before adding into the egg mixture. Pre-cooking the vegetables will bring their flavors out early on.
- Add milk for a fluffy and light texture. If you’re like us, we prefer omelettes that are extra fluffy, achieved by continuously beating the eggs and adding milk.
- Avoid overfilling the omelette with toppings which can ruin or tear the omelette when it’s time for folding.
- Use a non-stick pan. Since we’re folding the egg, we need the omelette to be easily removed from the pan, and a non-stick pan helps with this cooking process.
- Cook over medium heat for best results. Too high of a temperature would dry out and burn it while low heat will make it too runny.
How To Make Western Omelette
Enjoy your breakfast with this Western omelette recipe packed with lots of tasty fillings from vegetables to cheddar cheese.
- In a frying pan, add the oil and sauté the bell peppers for about 3 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the eggs then add in the cream, ham, onion, salt and pepper.
- Using the same pan, melt the butter then pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle the bell pepper evenly.
- Cook for about a minute or until the edges begin to set then flip to cook the other side using a spatula.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly and let it melt before serving!
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 887mg
- Calories: 1072kcal
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Cholesterol: 549mg
- Fat: 89g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 30g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g
- Potassium: 569mg
- Protein: 59g
- Saturated Fat: 42g
- Sodium: 3158mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2234IU
- Vitamin C: 3mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What cheese is best in omelettes?
Any type of cheese can work well with this western omelette dish. Aside from shredded cheddar cheese, you can also try mozzarella, parmesan, swiss cheese, or alpine cheese like Gruyère. Make sure that the cheeses will also melt properly under medium heat. Shredded cheeses or thinly sliced cheeses will melt better than your cubed cheeses.
Is it safe to reheat a Western omelette?
Microwave your omelets on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Remember before heating to place your omelette on a microwave-safe plate, and cover with a paper towel.
ConclusionPlan your next breakfast meal with this American-style western omelette that is packed with delicious fillings. It’s a wonderful and delightful breakfast addition to make your mornings fun. Serve it alongside other breakfast dishes like pancakes or waffles.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!