This is the onion ring recipe you’ve been looking for. These are so perfectly crispy and light they go with almost any meal.
How To Make Perfect Panko-Crusted Onion Rings
- 1 large onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cooking oil
- parsley diced
- Heat some oil in a deep-fryer at 365 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Separate the onion slices into rings and set them aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion slices into the flour mixture until they are all coated and set them aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork.
- Dip the rings once more into the batter then place them on a wire rack for draining until they stop dripping. Place the rack over paper towels to allow for easy clean-up.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a plate or on a shallow dish. Place the rings one at a time on top of the crumbs.
- Give each ring a hard tap as you remove it from the crumbs. The coating should cling to the rings very well.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until they become golden brown.
- Remove the paper towels. Season the rings with salt and diced parsley and serve.