We all want to be comforted with a hearty and filling lima bean soup during a cold rainy day. This no-hassle savory soup is nutty-tasting, loaded with veggies, and calls for crunchy garlic bread on the side.
What’s In Our Satisfying Soup?
Lima beans are protein-packed legumes known for their edible seeds. It’s nutty and buttery. Even better, it’s a good source of protein as well. They are perfect for soups, stew, casserole, salad, and more.
This satisfying lima bean soup recipe consists of convenient ingredients you could easily find at the nearest grocery store around you. This soup recipe is also meatless, so vegetarians could enjoy this healthier version.
We used dried lima beans in this recipe but you could also use canned or frozen. Instead of using onions just like in other soups, we used shallots and leeks as they have a more delicate and sweet flavor perfect for making soup. We also added carrots and celery stalks.
Tips In Making Lima Bean Soup
Usually, lima bean soup recipes have meat incorporated on their dish, but this recipe is non-meat. Here are some tips on how you could enjoy this delicious soup in slow cooker even more.
- Choose your beans. Go through the beans and remove the discolored ones, and don’t forget to rinse them on running water.
- Soak the beans. This recipe calls for dried lima beans, so soaking them for 8 hours or overnight would help to break down sugars on the beans. This will ease digestion, and will also fasten the cooking process,
- Cook your beans to your liking. You can have it chewy, or really soft, or even mashed. One that you would enjoy the consistency for your soup.
- Add veggies. In this recipe, we added carrots and celery that flavors go really well together.
- Add some meat. This recipe is vegetarian but if you prefer to have some meat on the dish, you can add some ham or bacon.
How To Make Satisfying Lima Bean Soup
Warm your cold rainy day with this light and healthy lima bean soup. Serve this with garlic bread and you have the perfect dish.
- Heat up your oil in a soup pot. Add onions and garlic. Saute until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and roast briefly.
- Add beans and broth. Cover and bring soup to a simmer. Continue simmering for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- Sugar: 9g
- Calcium: 130mg
- Calories: 243kcal
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Cholesterol: 9mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 9g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 779mg
- Protein: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 1186mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 781IU
- Vitamin C: 7mg
Commonly Asked Questions
How to thicken bean soup?
Lessen the broth that you’re going to put in while cooking the soup. You can also add mashed beans to the soup.
How to store cooked lima beans?
Put the cooked lima beans in a resealable bag, if stored properly in the refrigerator, it will last up to 3 to 5 days.
ConclusionLeave this easy lima bean soup in a slow cooker before you go to sleep tonight and wake up to this healthy and satisfying soup. Have a nice and crunchy toast or garlic bread on the side to complete the meal. Perfect for rainy days or cold afternoons.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!