This clam chowder features fresh clams and is fantastic in a sourdough bread bowl. Enjoying this soup will transport you to the fresh seafood markets in California.
How To Make Fisherman's Wharf Clam Chowder Bread Bowl
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 1 potato peeled and diced
- 2 cans clams chopped
- 1 bottle clam juice
- 1 ¾ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 sourdough boules
- Slice the top inch off each sourdough boule and use a paring knife to cut a circle around the boule without cutting through the bottom of the boule.
- Cut the circle about ½ inch away from the edge.
- Remove the bread disc.
- Brush the inside of the boule with melted butter and place on a baking pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until the bread bowl starts to brown.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and sauté the chopped onion and celery for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the clams, clam juice, chopped potato, chicken broth, and salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the heavy cream and once dissolved add the cream to the soup.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes and be sure to stir frequently.
- Fill the bread bowls with chowder!