This creamy tomato basil soup is proof that vegetable soups don’t lack flavor. It’s the coziest, creamiest, and best tomato soup recipe you can ever imagine! Best of all, it’s a cinch to throw together with fresh tomatoes, tomato juice, chicken stock, and heavy cream. For the finishing touches, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil leaves. Serve with a perfectly gooey, melty grilled cheese sandwich for an unforgettable meal!
Wondering how to make homemade tomato soup? It’s actually easy. To make this easy tomato basil soup, simply simmer together the tomatoes, tomato juice, and chicken stock. Next, puree the mixture with basil leaves using a blender until the texture is smooth and creamy. Then, return the soup to the heat and add the heavy cream and butter. See? Making this homemade tomato basil soup is almost effortless!
Tips for Making Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
This tomato and basil soup is completely stunning, with a bright orange hue and a comforting vibe. It’s the perfect companion for the cold weather – or whenever you feel like enjoying a bowl of warm soup.
Here are some tricks we used to make this homemade tomato soup ultra creamy and delicious:
- For the best flavors, use garden fresh, ripe tomatoes. Roma tomatoes, plum tomatoes, and San Marzano are all good choices when making tomato basil soup. But if you’re in a pinch, you can also make this soup with canned tomatoes. It’ll be just as rich and delicious! Or, you can use a mixture of fresh and canned ones to create a unique and rich taste.
- Roast the tomatoes to intensify the tomato flavor! One trick to better the taste of your tomato basil soup recipe is to roast the fresh or canned tomatoes in the oven. Doing so will concentrate their taste and can even bring out the natural sweetness of tomatoes.
- Add some tomato paste to give the soup a rich tomato taste. Try adding a few tablespoons of the paste. It carries a concentrated tomato flavor, intensifying the taste of any dish it’s incorporated into.
- A drizzle of olive oil adds richness and depth to your creamy tomato basil soup. You can even blend together olive oil, basil, and garlic to make a basil oil for this easy tomato soup. If you don’t have olive oil, any flavored oil will do.
- Add more fresh herbs! Apart from basil, there are a few more herbs that are welcome additions to your homemade tomato basil soup. Thyme and rosemary will impart earthy flavors, whereas fresh mint delivers a refreshing taste to the soup. Topping the soup with chives and parsley gives it a fresh finish, too!
If you wish to make a vegan creamy tomato soup, just simmer the tomatoes and tomato juice with vegetable broth instead of chicken stock. You can also skip the heavy cream and opt for vegan-friendly coconut cream or coconut milk to replace it.
How To Make Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
The marriage of tomato juice, chicken stock, and heavy cream in this creamy tomato soup recipe makes each bowl totally refreshing and comforting.
- Simmer the chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, and chicken stock in a saucepan for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Then, puree the mixture with the basil leaves in the cooking pan using an immersion blender.
- Return to low heat and stir while adding heavy cream and butter.
- Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle each serving with grated parmesan and more basil leaves.
- Serve with garlic bread and enjoy!
- Add a splash of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar at the end of the cooking to brighten up the flavor of this tomato and basil soup!
- Sugar: 12g
- Calcium: 72mg
- Calories: 335kcal
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Fat: 28g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 902mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Sodium: 172mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 3373IU
- Vitamin C: 49mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between tomato bisque and tomato soup?
The main difference between a delicious tomato bisque and tomato soup lies in their consistency. Tomato bisque is usually thicker and has a velvety texture, whereas tomato soup is more watery. Sometimes, though, both tomato soup and bisque call for heavy cream. But the latter usually contains a higher amount of cream, making it a lot creamier than a cream-based soup. Moreover, tomato soup is traditionally served hot, whereas you can serve the bisque hot or cold.
How can you thicken a tomato basil soup?
To thicken your creamy tomato basil soup, simply add a few tablespoons of cornstarch to the pureed soup. You can also just reduce the soup by simmering it for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. Adding potatoes or butternut squash can do the trick, too!
Is tomato soup good for you?
Yes, tomato soup is definitely good for you! It’s rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and many essential nutrients that boast an array of health benefits. Consuming tomato soup, for one thing, helps burn off calories. It also has high amounts of antioxidants, making it excellent for skin and eye health. So if you’re looking for comforting and healthy food, our creamy tomato basil soup recipe just might do the trick!
ConclusionSimmer up this creamy tomato basil soup on a cold day to keep you warm. It only calls for a handful of ingredients and is ready to serve in 40 minutes. Serve with crunchy bread or grilled cheese sandwich for a complete meal!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!