This sour cream chicken dish is a delicious, family-friendly meal made only using a crockpot. Rather than baking the meat in a casserole dish, this recipe calls for slow-cooking tender chicken breasts in a rich sour cream sauce. The low-temperature cooking helps tenderize the creamed chicken so it’s juicer and tastier.
Every bite of this dish is just so creamy and a bit tangy at the same time, all because the mushroom and onion soup blend perfectly well with the sour cream and tender chicken meat. Serve this creamy chicken dish over rice or pasta, or pair it with this copycat Outback Steakhouse garlic mashed potatoes or some yummy broccoli bites on the side.
Tips on Making Sour Cream Chicken
Cooking with sour cream easily takes simple chicken dishes for dinner or lunch to a whole new level of deliciousness. Plus, as this is a slow cooked dish, you are sure to achieve a melt-in-your-mouth chicken experience. Here’s how to make the most out of your dish:
- Go for full fat sour cream. It’s the tastiest! The fat will also fill you up quicker, therefore making you eat less. For a healthier alternative, you can also use plain Greek yogurt which is just as rich and creamy.
- Use any cut of chicken that you prefer. We used boneless, skinless chicken breasts just because they are easier to eat. But you can freely use thighs, chicken cutlets, and other chicken parts that you prefer. You may even cut a whole chicken up if you want to!
- Make it heartier by adding chopped potatoes, carrots, or broccoli into your sour cream chicken dish. Make sure to add these during the last hour of cooking to avoid having soggy vegetables.
- Try coating the chicken with crushed Ritz crackers for that additional yummy crunch! Plain bread crumbs also work, but it won’t taste as salty and buttery as the Ritz crackers. Soak the chicken pieces in the sour cream marinade first. Then, coat each one with the crushed crackers before placing them inside the crockpot.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese for a cheesy sour cream chicken variation. You can also use shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese as substitutes. The melted cheese will give your dish that additional gooey and cheesy flavor that’s just absolutely delicious.
Looking for more delicious recipes with sour cream? Try out this million dollar chicken casserole filled with chicken, cream cheese, and crushed crackers. You may also want to cook up this appetizing chicken bacon ranch tater tot casserole for more tasty meals!
How To Make Sour Cream Chicken
This sour cream chicken recipe makes indulgent, creamy chicken breasts drenched in a rich and tangy sour cream sauce. The marinade is made even heartier with the addition of onion and mushroom soup.
- Put all ingredients in a crockpot. If desired, sprinkle grated parmesan cheese all over the chicken breasts.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours, or on High for 4 hours.
- Cook until the chicken just falls apart.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve with rice or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 156mg
- Calories: 553kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Cholesterol: 210mg
- Fat: 31g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 700mg
- Protein: 59g
- Saturated Fat: 16g
- Sodium: 780mg
- Vitamin A: 753IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use sour cream to tenderize chicken?
Yes. Even aged meat, which is tougher and takes a longer time to tenderize, easily becomes tender and succulent when marinated in sour cream for at least 30 minutes. This is because sour cream contains enzymes and acids that do well in breaking down protein. Other dairy products like yogurt, milk, evaporated milk, and buttermilk give the same effect.
Can you cook sour cream?
Yes, you can. Slow cooking sour cream on low heat is the best way to do so. Low and slow is the way to go, like what we did with this sour cream chicken recipe. Sour cream, like other dairy products, can curdle when heated too quickly or too high. Remember never to boil sour cream as it will clump up and ruin the dish. That’s why the safest way is to keep it on low heat, and to add the sour cream last.
ConclusionAdd this delicious dish to your list of sour cream recipes! With just a few ingredients, you can make an appetizing sour cream chicken dish for a family dinner feast. Serve this tasty creamy chicken with steamed rice or vegetables for a complete meal.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!