Forget leaving the house or calling for delivery. Try out this copycat recipe for a taste of Papa John’s delicious pizza flavors. Topped with pepperoni, Italian sausage, bacon and a yummy cheese blend, you’ll definitely want more than just one slice.
How To Make Copycat Papa Johns Pizza
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 packs unbleached all-purpose flour add more as needed
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp basil
- 1/8 sprig thyme
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1 pack tomato sauce
- 1 piece Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded 3-cheese blend fontina, asiago & provolone
- 1/2 cup chopped bacon
- Few slices pepperoni
- 1 dash garlic powder
- In a bowl, add the warm water and yeast.
- Stir and let the mixture sit until the yeast turns foamy and dissolves.
- Add in the flour, olive oil, salt and sugar.
- Mix all four ingredients together by hand or with a mixer at low speed until the dough begins to form.
- Once the dough is smooth and well combined, knead it by hand for about 10 minutes.
- Add more flour if needed.
- Once the dough becomes elastic and bouncy, roundly shape it and put in back in the bowl.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the dough, cover it, and allow it to rise for one hour.
- After an hour, the dough will appear to have expanded in size. Poke the middle to release the extra air.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take a pizza pan, grease it, and drizzle it with some flour to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Spread the dough on the pan evenly to form a thin crust.
- Cook the bacon over medium heat. Once cooked, transfer the bacon on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- While the bacon is cooking, empty the tomato sauce into a bowl and mix in the basil, oregano, thyme, and lemon juice.
- Afterward, evenly spread the tomato sauce on the pizza dough, leaving a 1 inch border all around the dough.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese and 3-cheese blend generously all over the tomato sauce.
- Once you're done with the previous step, toss in a few pepperoni slices and add the Italian sausage. Afterward, sprinkle the cooked bacon over the dough.
- Place the pan with the dough in the oven and let it bake for about 10-15 minutes. When the crust appears golden brown and the cheese fully melted, remove and drizzle the garlic powder on the dough as desired.
- Cool the crusts for one minute. Once they're cool enough, cut them evenly and serve.