How To Make Pork and Sauerkraut Casserole
Layers of pork and sauerkraut casserole highlight the mix of the smoky flavor of the pork and the sweet and sour taste of sauerkraut. Try it!
- ½tspgarlic powder
- 6pork chops
- 2tbspbrown sugar
- 1smallonion,thinly sliced
- 1granny smith apple,peeled and thinly sliced
- ½tspcaraway seeds,optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place potatoes and butter in a 9×13-inch pan. Toss with garlic powder and salt & black pepper to taste.
Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Brown over medium high heat, about 3 minutes each side.
Meanwhile, combine sauerkraut, brown sugar, onion, granny smith apple and caraway seeds in a bowl.
Place ½ of the sauerkraut mixture over the potatoes. Top with browned pork chops and finally remaining sauerkraut mixture. Cover tightly with foil.
Reduce oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 2 hours.
Uncover and bake an additional 15 to 30 minutes or until fork-tender. Serve warm with applesauce.
- Choose a marbled pork chop that has some fat in it such as a sirloin chop or shoulder chop.
- Cooking leaner cuts for extended periods of time can result in a tough meat.
- Calories: 769.46kcal
- Fat: 22.41g
- Saturated Fat: 8.54g
- Trans Fat: 0.34g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8.09g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.76g
- Carbohydrates: 90.57g
- Fiber: 13.14g
- Sugar: 11.03g
- Protein: 51.40g
- Cholesterol: 147.49mg
- Sodium: 608.28mg
- Calcium: 122.73mg
- Potassium: 2775.45mg
- Iron: 5.97mg
- Vitamin A: 38.55µg
- Vitamin C: 100.70mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!