This is a very easy shepherd’s (cottage) pie that’s topped with wonderful garlic and Romano potatoes. You can change the ingredients to add almost anything you like. Kids love this, and it’s even better after sitting for a day. You should have most of the ingredients on hand to lessen the trips to the grocery! You can substitute any cheese for the Romano, as well.
How To Make Easy Shepherd's Pie with Garlic Romano Potatoes
This easy shepherd\’s pie recipe is a filling savory dish for mashed potato lovers.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
- Heat up a skillet with 2 tablespoons of butter. Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat. Saute briefly and drain any excess oil.
- Add the onions, rosemary, oregano, and basil. Saute until beef is evenly brown.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and mixed vegetables. Cook and stir until vegetables are heated through. Transfer to the baking dish and set aside.
- In a saucepot, combine butter, garlic, and milk. Simmer until the butter has melted.
- Pour this mixture into the mashed potatoes and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Lastly, fold in Romano cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Top beef and vegetables with mashed potatoes. You may use a piping bag for this with your preferred nozzle.
- Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Turn oven to broil, and continue cooking 3 minutes, until potatoes are golden brown. Allow to cool down.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
- Sugar: 6g
- Calcium: 183mg
- Calories: 591kcal
- Carbohydrates: 43g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Fat: 38g
- Fiber: 8g
- Iron: 4mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 1337mg
- Protein: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Sodium: 404mg
- Trans Fat: 2g
- Vitamin A: 4990IU
- Vitamin C: 50mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!