Here’s another great addition to your list of easy breakfast pie recipes with pie crust. Filled with eggs, hash browns, cheddar cheese, sausages, and many other tasty ingredients in a flaky crust, this breakfast pie recipe has everything you would want in a morning meal. Serve this hearty meal with this spring mix salad that’s equally easy to make and fresh orange lemonade to give everyone an energy boost for the day.
Tips on Making Breakfast Pie
Making breakfast pies is incredibly easy especially with this sausage pie recipe. Additionally, it is highly customizable to whatever ingredients are available to you. Learn more with these helpful tips on making this breakfast egg pie:
- Choose whole milk over skim or low-fat milk to give the filling a good creamy flavor. Alternatively, you can also sour cream or heavy cream.
- Aside from using crescent rolls, you can also use puff pastry, biscuits, or homemade pie crust for this recipe.
- Add other delicious ingredients to the pie. You can add grated garlic, peas, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, beans, leftover rotisserie chicken, or quail eggs, for instance. However, make sure that the ingredients you’ll be adding are not too juicy. Otherwise, it will end up being watery. Sauteeing them before adding them to your filling will help remove excess moisture.
- Top it with more cheese. It’ll turn into a gooey melty grilled cheese topping once it’s done!
- Turn it into an easy breakfast pot pie by covering it with a thin sheet of dough. You will need to slice a few slits on the top dough and add 10 to 15 minutes more baking time for it to cook through.
- Make the personal-sized breakfast pies in ramekins or muffin tins. In addition, you can customize the fillings and toppings of each small pie.
- Finally, make it ahead of time. Keep it in a sealed container in the fridge, then reheat them in the microwave on High for 30 seconds when you’re ready to serve them.
How To Make Breakfast Pie
This healthy protein-rich breakfast pie filled with bacon, ham, eggs, and vegetables baked into a delicious casserole will surely pump you up in the morning. Get it ready in under an hour, and load it up with extra cheese if you prefer.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Unroll the dough. Pat the dough over the bottom and up the side of an ungreased 12-inch pizza pan or pie plate, pressing the edges and perforations to seal.
Sprinkle with the sausage, ham, hash brown potatoes, cheddar cheese, onion, green pepper, and mushrooms.
Whisk the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over the prepared layers. Sprinkle it with parmesan cheese.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this breakfast pie vegetarian?
Yes, you can. Skip the meat and use mushrooms, chickpeas, and more veggies instead for the filling to make a delicious vegetarian breakfast pie.
What can I substitute for crescent roll dough?
The idea is to have a crust to hold all the filling together. For most breakfast pie recipes, you can use biscuits, homemade pie crust, and even pizza dough. However, if you’ll be using a homemade or pizza dough for the crust, you need to pre-bake it for 5 minutes before putting it in the filling.
This breakfast pie recipe is a sure easy way to get filled up and ready for the day. Load it up with sausage, cheese, and ham. You can even incorporate your delicious leftover dishes into this savory pie.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!