How To Make Italian Gelato
This Italian gelato recipe is a frozen dessert that means "something frozen". It's a creamy, cold treat that will beat the heat every time.
To Make The Custard:
- First, warm the milk in a large saucepan and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 2 teaspoons of sugar, and the milk powder. Keep stirring until it's well mixed.
- Lower the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave it to infuse. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl for a stand mixer and add the remaining vanilla extract and sugar. Whisk the eggs for 10 minutes or until the eggs are light, and fluffy.
- Put the custard into a bowl and place it in the freezer or chill the bowl with ice cubes.
- Gently reheat the milk mixture until warm. Make sure not to boil the milk to avoid curdling.
- Carefully pour the warm liquid slowly over the beaten eggs with the mixer running on medium speed.
- Pour the custard back into the pan and place over low heat. Keep on stirring slowly and gently until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the custard into the chilled bowl and stir again until the custard is cold.
To Make By Hand:
- Pour the gelato into a plastic tub with a fitting lid and place it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Take the custard out after freezing and beat it with a fork, whisk, or a hand mixer so the custard gets a smooth consistency. Do this 3 or 4 times every 30 minutes.
- Store the gelato in a tub with a lid that fits and place it in the freezer
- Get the gelato from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
To Use An Ice Cream Machine:
- Get a sheet of greaseproof paper and cut it into a circle. Put the circle on the top of the custard to prevent a membrane from forming. Put the custard into the fridge for 3 to 4 hours or even overnight.
- Churn the custard into an ice cream machine and follow the manual.
- Sugar: 440g
- Calcium: 194mg
- Calories: 1801kcal
- Carbohydrates: 439g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Fat: 9g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 248mg
- Protein: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Vitamin A: 388IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!
Crisp & Crumble
Dip, Sauce & Condiment
Make a Thanksgiving classic all-year-round with our easy-to-make sausage Challah stuffing recipe! Serve crispy yet tender stuffing with the perfect stuffing mix of sausages, corn muffins, and Israeli Challah bread.
Dip, Sauce & Condiment