Imagine waking up to a cold winter day smelling the aroma of cherries, butter, and cinnamon in a freshly baked cake. Appetizing just to think about, right? Turn it into reality with this rich cherry-loaded coffee cake that is moist, tender, and crowned with a golden brown buttery crumb topping. You can even make breakfast time extra special for your loved ones just by following this easy almond cherry coffee cake recipe from scratch. Complete your meal by pairing this sweet and tasty treat with freshly brewed French press coffee.
Tips on Making Cherry Coffee Cake
With our simple recipe, you’ll realize that making a rustic-looking bakery-style cherry almond coffee cake is easy, even for beginners. Nonetheless, here are more expert tips that you should take note of to ensure that you make them perfectly every single time:
- Always sift the dry ingredients to break down any clumps. This ensures that there will be no unpleasant tiny balls of flour, baking soda, and baking powder throughout your cake batter.
- Make sure to use room temperature ingredients so they will be easier to mix. It will also help the cake bake evenly.
- Remember not to overmix the batter to avoid too much gluten formation which makes the cake tough.
- While a cherry pie filling already has enough flavor and aroma, we suggest mixing in fresh cherries or a can of maraschino cherries to get even better results.
- Use a strawberry or blueberry pie filling in place of cherry pie filling if you want to explore other flavors.
- Add other delicious ingredients to the batter like dark chocolate chips and dried cherries. Make it a cherry cream cheese coffee cake by adding small dollops of cream cheese before the pie filling.
- Add your preferred nuts into the streusel topping. We recommend using almonds but pecans, walnuts, or cashews will do. Tossing in half a teaspoon of lemon zest will add a bright flavor that will amp up the overall taste of your dessert.
More Coffee Cake Recipes to Try
It’s always good to have a batch of homemade coffee cake in the fridge to serve when visitors come in unexpectedly or even when you feel like having a fancy snack. Check out these other easy coffee cake recipes that you can try:
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake — A fall favorite, this cake is made with pumpkin puree and yellow cake mix topped with a cinnamon pecan streusel.
- Blueberry Coffee Cake — You will enjoy the pops of fresh blueberries in every bite of this cake! It also comes with a simple powdered sugar glaze that you can drizzle on top.
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake — This one is a classic made with cinnamon and walnuts. Its simple flavor makes the taste of the coffee really shine through.
- Chocolate Raspberry Coffee Cake — This vibrant coffee-flavored dessert tastes almost like chocolate-covered raspberries! Load it with as much dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or milk chocolate chips as you like.
How To Make Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
A tender and buttery cake filled with cherries and topped with almond cinnamon crumble topping. This delightful cherry coffee cake is ready in under 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and line a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ¼ cup of brown sugar, ¼ cup of flour, almonds, cinnamon, and ⅓ stick of butter. Mix together until the mixture is moist like wet sand. Set aside.
- Sift and mix the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and remaining flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining sugars and butter. Beat them together using a hand mixer until creamy.
- Mix in the eggs one by one.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold until evenly incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Add the cherry pie filling in an even layer.
- Using a spoon, spread the remaining cake batter on top of the cherry filling.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture on top.
- Bake it for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 27g
- Calcium: 102mg
- Calories: 353kcal
- Carbohydrates: 66g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 186mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 282mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 313IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make cherry coffee cake ahead of time?
Yes! This cherry coffee cake recipe can be made ahead and stored in the fridge. It will stay good for 5 days. To keep it moist, make sure to store the cake in an airtight container. You can also slice it into individual serving portions and secure each with plastic wrap.
How do you keep a coffee cake moist?
The secret to moist coffee cakes, as with any cake, is having a good ratio of sugar, fat, and flour like what we did in this recipe. We used a mix of white and brown sugar as brown sugar which helps with moisture. We also used sour cream instead of milk because it contains a higher amount of fat while also providing the creaminess that milk gives. Overall, the ratio of wet to dry ingredients in this recipe is just at the sweet spot to make an ultra-moist cake.
ConclusionYou no longer have to go to a store to buy a good cherry coffee cake. Make it straight from home with the same tender, moist, and tasty quality with this easy recipe. Serve it for breakfast or any time of the day!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!