This Mexican sweet bread is a delicious warm treat. With a few simple spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, you can have a flavorful sweet roll.
Mexican Sweet Bread Recipe
- 2 ½ tsp yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅓ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir the yeast and warm water together.
Mix in the milk, sugar, melted butter, salt, egg, and half of the flour.
Gradually add the rest of the flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 6 to 8 minutes.
Place in a large greased bowl and turn the dough around to coat.
- Cover, and let the dough naturally rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
To make the topping in a medium bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour until the mix forms into a thick consistency.
- Divide into two parts and place one half in a separate bowl.
- Mix cinnamon into one half, and vanilla into the other half.
- When the dough is done rising, cut into 12 pieces.
- Shape into balls and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Dived each bowl of topping into 6 balls and pat flat.
- Put the circles on top of the dough balls and pat on gently.
Using a knife, cut grooves in the topping like a clam shell.
Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!