This classic Irish chicken and cabbage stew is perfect for any time of the year. Try adding or subtracting optional ingredients to make it as filling or as light as you like!
How To Make Rustic Irish Chicken and Cabbage Stew
- 1 whole head of cabbage diced into small pieces
- 1 whole onion diced into small pieces
- 2 potatoes diced into small pieces
- 4 carrots diced into small pieces
- 2 leeks
- 1 celeriac diced into small pieces
- 250 gms chicken breast or chicken on the bone for a deeper flavor
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. of thyme
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 Salt to taste
- 1 pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan and sauté the onions in the hot oil.
- Add the celery and celeriac and sauté till cooked through.
- Add the carrots to the pan and cook.
- Season with salt, pepper, and check taste.
- Season with thyme and taste again.
- Add the cabbage last and cook till soft.
- Add the stock to the pan and place on high heat.
- Add the bay leaves and let simmer.
- Lastly, add the chicken and cook untl done.
- Serve hot.