How To Make Zaru Soba (Japanese Cold Noodles)
Chill and escape the summer heat with this zaru soba (Japanese cold noodles) recipe. Chilled noodles with a refreshing dipping sauce that will keep you cool during hot days.
To Make the Mentsuyu (Concentrated Noodle Soup Base):
- In a medium saucepan, Bring sake to a boil over medium-high heat. Let the alcohol evaporate for a few seconds. Add soy sauce, mirin, kombu, and dried bonito flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn heat off and let cool completely. Strain and set aside.
To Boil the Soba Noodles:
- In a large pot, boil water. Do not add oil or salt. Add dried soba and stir in a circle to separate noodles. Cook according to package instructions. Do not overcook. Once noodles are tender they are done.
- Transfer soba noodles in a sieve and rinse under cold running water to get rid of the excess starch. Shake to completely drain. Transfer noodles into a bowl of iced water, Chill for 30 seconds, drain well, and set aside.
- Place bamboo mats over individual plates. Add a portion of noodles to each plate and garnish with shredded nori on top.
- For the dipping sauce, mix 1 part or ⅜ cup of mentsuyu with 3 parts or 1⅛ cups of iced water in a bowl. Taste and adjust as preferred. Transfer to individual small bowls or ramekins.
- Put the chopped green onions and wasabi on individual saucers. Serve with plated noodles and dipping sauces. Enjoy!
- Sugar: 179g
- Calcium: 182mg
- Calories: 2012kcal
- Carbohydrates: 406g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Fat: 1g
- Fiber: 6g
- Iron: 19mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 2259mg
- Protein: 127g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 45245mg
- Vitamin A: 61IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!