Sangria is one of the tastiest big-batch alcoholic beverage you can prepare. Loaded with slices of seasonal fruits swimming in red wine that often have a sweet and dry but refreshing taste. This recipe would easily become your go-to party drink.
Pretty straightforward, you can choose any fruit that’s in season, add some red wine (cheap or not), some alcohol for the spirit, and some sweetener to balance the taste. Voila! You get a fruity punch perfect for parties in the summer!
How To Make Sangria
- Punch bowl (for huge portions)
- Ladle (for serving)
- or Tall pitcher (following this measurement)
- Muddler/Wooden round spatula
- 4 cups flavored wine
- 3-4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups brandy
- 1 cup white wine
- ¼ cup vodka
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 6 cups clear soda
- 2 apples sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- Slice 2 apples into cubes, and 1 lemon into rounds. Toss these onto a bowl and add 3 to tablespoons of brown sugar. With a tall wooden round spatula or a muddler, gently stir the ingredients to let the brown sugar sweeten up the fruits.
- Pour 4 cups of flavored wine, 2 cups of brandy, 1 cup of white wine, and 6 cups of clear soda. Adjust the servings according to preference. When using high tannin wines, remember to put more sugar if necessary.
- Add ice cubes to chill. Stir to reach a purplish red color. Let this beverage sit overnight. Serve.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
How is sangria best served?
Sangria is best served when you’ve let it sit for more than 6 hours to overnight in the refrigerator. The resting period allows the fruits to infuse with the liquid balancing the sweetness and the alcoholic taste. This step results in an extra juicy flavor.
What fruits should you put in a sangria?
Your choice of fruit affects whether you get a sweet or less sweet beverage. Apples and pears are what make up a traditional sangria. They tend to give the beverage a bit of the crunch. Oranges, peaches, lemon, and even strawberries and plum are great fruits to put in a sangria.
Can you eat the fruit in sangria?
While a lot of people discard the fruit in the sangria, they are quite tasty. The flavors of the alcohol and fruits infused together overnight give it a unique flavor profile.
Can you get drunk off sangria?
It depends since there is no standard way to make a sangria. Sangria has a varying ratio of ingredients depending on the preference of who’s making it. Therefore, you can’t tell if the one served to you can get you drunk. The alcohol content of sangria can go anywhere from 4 to 12 percent.
I’ve got a lot leftover. How long can it last in the fridge?
You can store this beverage in your refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.