This decadent chocolate covered cherries recipe is a bit of work, but very impressive to put out at dessert time. Make sure to get a hold of sweet cherries at the store because they’ll compliment well with the sweetness from the milk chocolate.
How To Make Homemade Chocolate-Covered Cherries
This easy-to-make chocolate covered cherries recipe is not just cherries and chocolate! It’s also stuffed with a sweet, homemade fondant to counteract the sweet-sour bite of cherries and bitterness of dark chocolate.
- ⅓ cup butter, soft, not margarine
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted and divided
- 1 lb red maraschino cherries, (from 1 jar), with stems, well drained
- 16 oz dark chocolate candy bars, chopped
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, corn syrup, and vanilla at medium speed until smooth.
- Gradually add the salt and 3 cups of the confectioners' sugar. Mix well.
- When the mixture becomes too stiff to beat, stir with a spatula.
- Add the remaining confectioners' sugar enough to make a mixture that can be kneaded.
- Form mixture into a 10-inch roll. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover in plastic wrap or waxed paper.
- Refrigerate the roll until firm.
- Dust the working area with flour then cut the roll into 1-inch slices.
- Then, cut each slice into quarters.
- Flatten each piece in the palm of your hand then place a cherry in the center.
- Fold up the fondant around the cherry until it is completely covered.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Chill until firm.
- Melt the dark chocolate on top of a double boiler over hot water. Cool slightly.
- Dip fondant-covered cherries in the melted milk chocolate.
- Place on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Refrigerate until the chocolate sets then serve!
- Sugar: 20g
- Calcium: 15mg
- Calories: 153kcal
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Fat: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 85mg
- Protein: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 50mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 77IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!