This sugar cookies recipe makes a treat that’s a cross between a cookie and a cake. The cookies can be cut into shapes and frosted or dusted with powdered sugar. They are really good with a cup of tea or coffee any time of the day.
How To Make English Tea Cakes - English Sugar Cookies
Enjoy a tasty sugar cookie to go with your usual cup of tea or as a treat after a heavy, filling meal. Our sugar cookies recipe is truly a delight.
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, and salt then set aside.
- In a mixing bowl attached to a hand beater, cream together the butter and sugar for roughly 5 to 7 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and liquor of choice then continue creaming.
- Fold your dry ingredients into your wet mixture until it forms a sticky dough. It should hold shape when squeezed. You may need your hands to properly fold the ingredients.
- Roll enough cling film to cover your working area, then place the dough on top. Cover with another cling film, then gently roll to flatten and cover the area with cling film.
- Wrap tightly and chill the dough for at least 30 minutes to hold its shape when cutting. You can also chill the dough overnight, just remember to leave it out at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
- Dust your working area with flour, then place your dough on it. Dust your rolling pin, then flatten until the dough reaches either ⅛-inch thick (for crisper cookies) or ¼-inch thick (for softer chewier cookies).
- Portion your dough accordingly using 2½-inch cookie cutters or any cutters of your choice, then place these onto your lined baking sheet.
- Bake for roughly 20 minutes or until crisp and just starting to turn brown.
- Take them out as they begin to barely brown and allow them to cool completely onto cooling racks.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving!
- Sugar: 13g
- Calcium: 15mg
- Calories: 389kcal
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 48mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 15g
- Sodium: 109mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 739IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!