How To Make Cranberry Apple Upside-Down Cake
Impress everyone with this simple yet piquant upside-down cake loaded with delicious tart cranberries and fresh apples, for a richly fruity dessert!
- 6tbspunsalted butter
- ½cupdark brown sugar,packed
- 1medium apple,peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1cupfresh cranberries,or frozen, heaping
- ½cupunsalted butter,softened to room temperature
- 1cupdark brown sugar,packed
- 2large eggs,room temperature, separated
- 1tsppure vanilla extract
- 1½cupsall-purpose flour,spoon and leveled
- 1tspbaking powder
- 1tspground cinnamon
- ¼tspground nutmeg
- ¼tspground cloves
- ¼tspground ginger
Lightly spray a 9-inch pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Make sure the apples are sliced and ready to go.
In a small saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. When it begins to bubble, whisk in the brown sugar. Continue to stir until smooth.
Leave on heat for about 2 minutes until it begins to bubble. Stir, then remove from heat and allow to briefly cool for a couple of minutes.
Layer the sliced apples and cranberries into the dish and pour the butter and sugar overtop. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger together until combined. Set aside.
Using a handheld or stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high for about 1 minute until creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat on medium-high speed for about 2 to 3 minutes until creamed together. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed for about 2 full minutes until everything is combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients, and mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not overmix. Whisk or beat the 2 egg whites for about 3 minutes until thick and foamy.
Fold into the cake batter. The batter will be smooth, velvety, and thick. Spoon or pour batter over the apples-cranberries.
Bake for 40 to 44 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the very middle comes out clean.
Allow to cool for exactly 10 minutes before inverting onto a large serving dish or cake stand.
Serve warm or at room temperature, and enjoy!
- Leftovers keep well covered tightly at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- Apples: Use a preferred variety of apple. This recipe tastes good with Granny Smith and Honeycrisp.
- Buttermilk: Whole milk can be substituted for buttermilk if desired. Lower fat or non-dairy milk in a pinch can also be used, but the cake won’t taste as rich and moist.
- Calories: 328.13kcal
- Fat: 17.40g
- Saturated Fat: 10.62g
- Trans Fat: 0.66g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.59g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.89g
- Carbohydrates: 40.44g
- Fiber: 1.62g
- Sugar: 23.99g
- Protein: 3.77g
- Cholesterol: 80.25mg
- Sodium: 191.58mg
- Calcium: 79.76mg
- Potassium: 111.83mg
- Iron: 1.35mg
- Vitamin A: 153.98µg
- Vitamin C: 2.39mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!