This festive cake will have everyone waving their flags and asking for seconds.
How To Make Barefoot Contessa's Flag Cake
A wonderfully easy recipe for flag cake, inspired by the Barefoot Contessa herself! Other than it being a pleasant cake to see, it's as scrumptious as it looks! The fresh berries topping and whipped icing are definitely the stars of this tasty dessert.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour an 18x13x1 ½-inch sheet pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, until light and fluffy.
- On medium speed, add the eggs, 2 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top with a spatula.
Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
- For the icing, combine the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mixing just until smooth.
- Spread three-fourths of the icing on the top of the cooled sheet cake.
- Outline the flag on the top of the cake with a toothpick.
- Fill the upper left corner with blueberries.
- Place 2 rows of raspberries across the top of the cake like a red stripe.
- Put the remaining icing in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe two rows of white stripes below the raspberries. Alternate rows of raspberries and icing until the flag is completed.
- Pipe stars on top of the blueberries.
You can make use of strawberries in place of raspberries, if you prefer.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!