This festive cake will have everyone waving their flags and asking for seconds.
How To Make Barefoot Contessa's Flag Cake
A wonderfully easy recipe for flag cake, inspired by the Barefoot Contessa herself! Other than it being a pleasant cake to see, it’s as scrumptious as it looks! The fresh berries topping and whipped icing are definitely the stars of this tasty dessert.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour an 18x13x1 ½-inch sheet pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, until light and fluffy.
- On medium speed, add the eggs, 2 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature.
- For the icing, combine the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mixing just until smooth.
- Spread three-fourths of the icing on the top of the cooled sheet cake.
- Outline the flag on the top of the cake with a toothpick.
- Fill the upper left corner with blueberries.
- Place 2 rows of raspberries across the top of the cake like a red stripe.
- Put the remaining icing in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe two rows of white stripes below the raspberries. Alternate rows of raspberries and icing until the flag is completed.
- Pipe stars on top of the blueberries.
You can make use of strawberries in place of raspberries, if you prefer.
- Sugar: 44g
- Calcium: 37mg
- Calories: 514kcal
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Fat: 30g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 78mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Vitamin A: 988IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!