How to Make Thai Ma Haw (Minced Meat Relish)
A famed appetizer, this Thai ma haw combines sweet and salty flavors for tasty minced meat relish. Pineapple and orange are topped with seasoned pork.
- Cut the hard center core out of the pineapple and discard.
Cut the pineapple into bite-sized triangle-shaped pieces that are about ¼-inch thick.
Cut the orange in half lengthwise and cut the halves into ½-inch thick slices.
- Arrange fruit on a serving platter and set aside.
- Pound the cilantro roots, garlic, and peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until you have a fine paste, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the pork and cilantro root mixture and stir-fry until the meat is no longer pink.
Add the shrimp and continue to cook for 2 minutes until it is opaque white.
Turn contents of wok out into a small bowl. Return the wok to the stove.
- Combine the fish sauce and palm sugar and cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
Add the peanuts and continue to cook and stir for 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened and is golden brown.
- Drain off the fat from the pork mixture and discard.
- Return the pork mixture to the wok and stir to combine with fish sauce mixture.
- Remove from heat, add the fried shallots, and stir to combine.
Top each piece of fruit with a small amount of the pork mixture, garnish with minced red pepper and cilantro leaves.
- Sugar: 39g
- Calcium: 103mg
- Calories: 421kcal
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Fat: 17g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 2mg
- Potassium: 600mg
- Protein: 16g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 1780mg
- Vitamin A: 395IU
- Vitamin C: 107mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!