You can make this basic stew on your stovetop or in your crockpot – whatever you prefer.
How To Make Heavenly Beef Stew
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 50 mins
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 onion sliced thin
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 lb beef roast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cup beef broth
- 4 carrots sliced
- 15 mushrooms halved
- Heat oil, and sauté garlic and onions in Dutch oven. Remove.
- Mix together flour, salt and pepper. Dredge meat in flour mix in a small bowl and brown well in the oil (add more if necessary).
- Return onion and garlic to pot. Add carrots, beef broth and thyme plus wine if you are using.
- Simmer, covered for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Sauté mushrooms in 1 Tbs. butter for 5 minutes.
- Add to meat and mix gently. Simmer for 10 more minutes on very low heat.
- Serve with fresh French bread, and a salad. You can also serve over biscuits, noodles or rice.
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 36g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 932mg | Potassium: 846mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5117IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 4mg