How To Make Turkish Lentil Soup
This simple lentil soup is a smooth, delicious, and slightly spicy appetizer that’s popular in Istanbul. Whip up a warm batch in just 30 minutes!
- 1tbspbutter,or olive oil
- 1medium white onion,peeled, diced
- 1tbsptomato paste,optional
- 1tspground cumin
- ½tspAleppo pepper
- 6cupsvegetable stock,or chicken
- 1cupred lentils,rinsed, picked over
- 1small yukon gold potato,diced into ½-inch cubes
- fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper,to taste
- fresh lemon wedges,for serving
- fresh mint,chopped, for serving
Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion and carrot for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, and Aleppo pepper. Sauté for 1 more minute, stirring occasionally.
Add the stock, red lentils, potato, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain the simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
To purée the soup, use an immersion blender to purée until completely smooth. Or transfer the soup to a traditional blender and carefully purée* until smooth.
Taste the soup, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve warm, sprinkled with chopped fresh mint and fresh lemon wedges for squeezing. Enjoy!
- If there is no Aleppo pepper, substitute with ½ teaspoon of sweet paprika plus a pinch of cayenne.
- *When using a traditional blender, it’s important to not overfill the blender; hence, purée in batches as hot liquids expand when blended. Also, always keep the cap on the blender lid slightly tented open so that hot air can escape.
- Any leftovers can be stored in sealed containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or in the freeze for up to 3 months.
- Calories: 255.90kcal
- Fat: 3.82g
- Saturated Fat: 1.97g
- Trans Fat: 0.12g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1.02g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.48g
- Carbohydrates: 44.18g
- Fiber: 7.64g
- Sugar: 4.08g
- Protein: 13.65g
- Cholesterol: 7.63mg
- Sodium: 1137.54mg
- Calcium: 57.26mg
- Potassium: 676.80mg
- Iron: 4.21mg
- Vitamin A: 172.85µg
- Vitamin C: 19.04mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!