How To Make Sunshine Slaw with Quinoa
Put together a light and easy dish with this sunshine slaw. It brims with the healthy flavors of mixed veggies and quinoa tossed in honey-mustard dressing.
- ½cupquinoa,rinsed in a fine-mesh colander, or 1 ½ cups leftover cooked quinoa
- ½cupraw pepitas,(hulled pumpkin seeds) or sunflower seeds
- 8cupsmixed shredded vegetables,(green or red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts and/or carrots), or use about 20 oz store-bought slaw mix
- 1cupred onion,(1 small), halved and thinly sliced
- ½cupchopped fresh cilantro,or parsley
- 1cupsunshine salad dressing*,or more to taste
- salt,to taste
To cook the quinoa, combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
Cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, until the quinoa has absorbed all of the water reducing heat as time goes on to maintain a gentle simmer.
Remove from heat, cover, and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes, to give it time to fluff up.
Meanwhile, toast the pepitas in a small skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently, until fragrant and making little popping noises. Set aside to cool.
To make sure the onion flavor doesn’t overwhelm the salad, rinse the sliced onion under running water, then let it drain well.
In a large serving bowl, combine the shredded vegetables, drained onion, and cilantro. Add the cooled quinoa and pepitas. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss to mix.
Let the slaw rest for 20 minutes before serving (this is key to great flavor), then season to taste with salt, and stir in more dressing if desired.
This slaw is best the day it’s made, but it keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 4 days.
Check out this Sunshine Salad Dressing Recipe to learn how to make it.
- Calories: 393.99kcal
- Fat: 27.22g
- Saturated Fat: 4.86g
- Trans Fat: 0.00g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7.99g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 12.75g
- Carbohydrates: 30.46g
- Fiber: 6.97g
- Sugar: 2.31g
- Protein: 9.30g
- Sodium: 591.83mg
- Calcium: 50.64mg
- Potassium: 463.79mg
- Iron: 2.68mg
- Vitamin A: 312.82µg
- Vitamin C: 15.13mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!